Dunny’s Atoms complete sweep of Oilers
Bookmark and Share
Jan 20, 2015  |  Vote 0    0

Dunny’s Atoms complete sweep of Oilers

St. Marys Journal Argus

The Dunny’s Sports Additonal-Entry Atoms completed a three–game sweep of Petrolia with back-to-back wins over the Oilers on home ice this past weekend.

On Sunday, three third-period goals lifted the Rock to a 4-1 victory over the Oilers. The three goals came in a span of less than four minutes, after Petrolia had tied the score 1-1 just 62 seconds into the third.

Scoring for St. Marys were Ian Boyd, Mac King, Jaden Shiell and Lucas McCurdy. Assists went to King, Ian Boyd and Nathan Switzer.

The Rock had carried a slim 1-0 advantage into the third.

Kiefer MacNeil got the net win.

“We played pretty well in the series,” Dunny’s assistant coach Steph MacNeil said.

Shutout win Saturday

On Saturday, Matt King’s squad had taken a stranglehold on the best-of-five series with a 4-0 victory at the PRC.

After a scoreless first period, Nathan Switzer fired what proved to be the winner late in the second period.

Winger Lucas McCurdy added a pair of goals and Jaden Shiell one in a three-minute span midway through the third.

Earning assists were Owen Boyd, with two, and singles to Switzer and Ian Boyd.

Goalie Will Galloway chalked up the shutout.

“The boys played well,” assistant coach MacNeil reported.

Overall, St. Marys out-scored Petrolia 16-2 in the series after winning the series opener 8-1 in Petrolia on Jan. 11.

The Dunny’s Atoms will likely play Lambeth Lancers in the next playoff series. Lancers are playing Mooretown Flags.

Grocer 'BB' Atoms win opener

On Saturday afternoon at the PRC, another OMHA playoff game kept the fans on the edge of their seats.

In an action-packed affair, the Independent Grocer ‘BB’ Atoms emerged with a 4-3 victory over the Southpoint Capitals (Leamington).

It was St. Marys’ first game in a three-team, round-robin series.

The Rock opened the scoring with a first-period goal by Porter Aitken, from Mason Boonstra and Zach Rooney.

Southpoint scored the only goal of the middle frame, tying it 1-1.

Just four seconds into a powerplay early in the third, winger Keegan Nethercott put St. Marys up 2-1 from Ben Turner.

Just under three minutes later, centreman Turner picked the corner of the net for a picture goal—putting the Grocer men up 3-1.

However, the Capitals refused to quit. The visitors scored two goals—just 1:39 apart—to tie the count 3-3.

With just 3:58 to play, Turner fired the game winner, unassisted, after a lengthy dash up the ice. It was his third point of the contest.

St. Marys was then forced to kill off a late penalty to preserve its slim one-goal lead.

Southpoint, meanwhile, took seven of the 12 minor penalties.

“We were moving our feet and skating, and when we’re doing those two things it gives us a chance to be successful,” Rock coach Dan Schiedel said.

“We also scored a couple of powerplay goals and killed off a couple of penalties. And Will (Galloway) made a couple of big stops in the third for us.

“Every game counts . . . we’ll take the win,” Schiedel added.

Upcoming: Next playoff action for the Grocer Atoms is this Saturday, Jan. 24 when they travel to Blenheim to face the South Kent Lightning at 10:40 a.m.

Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

Latest Local News

In Your Neighbourhood Today