25 years ago — 1990
Pictured in a recent Journal Argus is Bertha Bickell, who on Jan. 10 celebrated her 108th birthday with family and friends at Ritz Lutheran Villa in Mitchell.
The St. Marys curling team of skip Phyllis Sheldon, second Jessie Shane, Gwen Prout and Marguerite Crosthwaite won the Equitable Life trophy at the bonspiel in Kitchener recently.
From Jack Mathieson’s Avonton column, we read: “Railroads today.” A lot of talk today about the railroad and VIA taking some trains off specific runs. The Toronto-to-Sarnia line and the Buffalo-to-Goderich line both arrived in Stratford in 1856, which pleased both businessmen and farmers. In 1876, another track was laid through Stratford to Lake Erie. So now there were three tracks going through Stratford at different angles. In 1977, the CN and CP railways merged and was called VIA. In the early days, as many as 44 trains went through Stratford daily. Milk was shipped to Toronto each day at 7 a.m., with the empty cans coming back on the afternoon train; also, the mail arrived by train. The first train travelling from Stratford over the St. Marys Viaduct was Nov. 23, 1857. The St. Pauls Station and Sebringville stations were opened in 1858 and, from those two places, high school students went each day to Stratford Collegiate with the cost of $2.50 a month.
50 years ago — 1965
The Junior Farmers re-organized recently at Kintore School. The past president, Ken Day, presided over the election. The officers for 1965 are: Past President Ken Day, President David Arthur, VP/Secretary Evelyn Day, club Directors Ruth Henderson, Sharon McLeod, Joyce Alderson, Clarence Tate, M. Henderson and Alex Steele. (Kintore News)
In spite of the weatherman not cooperating for the official opening of the new Central School, south of Uniondale, the community ventured out and a crowd of over 400 was welcomed at the new East Nissouri School.
75 years ago — 1940
The snowplow question occupied fully an hour at Town Council’s first meeting of the New Year. Present were Mayor White and Councillors Laidlaw, Jacobi, Tovell, McInnes and Hance, Town Solicitor A.F. Cook, Sergeant-At-Arms John McArthur, and Road Foreman Wm. Hutchison. Dr. I. Hance was welcomed as the new councillor. The Stratford plan re: the snowplow question, which had been working this week, had made a very good job of the town streets, but it was felt the Town should have a plow of its own. It was pointed out that, on Sunday last, the slush could have been cleared off the streets before it had frozen if a plow was handy. After further discussion, a motion was made by Drs. McInnes and Hance, “That the Highway and Streets Committee be empowered to purchase a snowplow as quickly as possible.”
Pictured in this week’s Journal Argus are the four sons of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Billings of St. Marys. They are Private Frank; Sergeant Fred; Private Jack; and Regiment Quarter Master Sergeant William.
There was a good response from rural young people to attend the Agricultural and Domestic Short Course, held at St. Marys Central Public School. A photograph appears in this week’s Journal Argus of those registered for the short course.
100 years ago — 1915
There will be a mass meeting of the residents of Blanshard and Kirkton at the Kirkton Hall for the purpose of considering the purchasing of hydro power for St. Marys. The meeting will be addressed by a hydro expert and by the St. Marys Commissioners. A large attendance is hoped for as there are important questions to be answered. Representatives will be present from Winchelsea, Woodham, Elimville, Granton and Kirkton.
There has been glorious skating on the Thames River for some time. Full advantage of this has been taken by many people, old and young. The skating rink has suffered somewhat in patronage as a result, but that will soon come into its own after a few snowfalls cover the river with thick mantle of snow.