25 years ago — 1990
In a last-minute effort to stall cuts in VIA Rail, St. Marys Town Council agreed at their latest meeting to put $1,000 towards the cost of a court injunction being sought by a number of southwestern Ontario municipalities. As well, Councillor Jamie Hahn suggested area citizens who favour public transportation gather at the train station in time for the 12:25 p.m. train.
In this week’s Journal Argus, we see a picture of construction workers as they guide a batch of cement mix into place as contractors of the Stonetown Co-operative Housing project continue near Grace Community Church at the eastern part of town.
Mike Craig of Thorndale was one of the four Team Canada Juniors honoured before the Toronto/Los Angeles game recently at Maple Leaf Gardens. Craig and three of this teammates participated in a puck-dropping ceremony and all shook hands with Wayne Gretzky. The 18 year-old Craig, a St. Marys Minor Hockey product, helped Canada win the World Junior Hockey Championships in Finland last week.
50 years ago — 1965
We See: THAT Murray Stephen is now the scoring leader of the Cornell University hockey team in Ithaca, New York. Murray has 17 points on nine goals and eight assists. Murray is a native of Anderson, Blanshard Township, and a former member of the St. Marys Lincolns.
We See: THAT the West Nissouri Area School Board has secured options on various parcels of land in the north section of the township. Eventually, the are said to call for the erection of an eight-room Central School, once the site has been decided upon.
We See: THAT the elm tree in Memorial Park next to the Town Hall was taken down by Board of Works employees. The tree, planted some 35 years ago, had been killed by the infestation caused by the elm bark beetle.
The former bathhouse at Cadzow Park has now been handed over to the Museum Committee. Mr. Jerry Kapp is presently spending a good deal of his spare time in making changes to the interior of the building. Next season, it is hoped that the famous Baker Electric Car, and other wheeled vehicles, plus tools, etc., will be on display in the Museum Annex.
75 years ago — 1940
A photograph in this week’s Journal Argus is of the young people who were on hand when the Agricultural and Domestic Short Course opened at St. Marys Central School.
History was made in this district when the Blanshard Municipal Telephone System, one of the most successful publicly owned systems in the province, held its annual meeting at Kirkton. The President, Dr. C.A. Campbell, was able to announce that the Blanshard portion of the system, which had been built up in a few years through the devoted effort of a few men, the cooperation of the people, and financing by a moderate phone rate, is not free of debt.
The White Bros. opened up their meat market and refrigerated store in the Whelihan Block. The site was the former PUC and has been completely transformed by paint and equipment into a modern meat store. David and William White are the proprietors and Lorne Hogg is the assistant clerk.
Upcoming Event: 1939 Royal Tour of Canada, in coloured movie form, under the auspices of the St. Marys United Church. Silver collection.
While we live in this part of the country it would seem advisable to make up our minds to let winter be winter. It looks like poor economy to pay men to draw gravel onto the roads in summer and pay others to throw a portion of it into the ditches after every storm during the winter months. (Motherwell)
100 years ago — 1915
Mr. John Gray has been fortunate in securing, for his next big attraction, “ Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch,” who played to crowded houses at the Grand, Toronto, for the second time this season. St. Marys date: Opera House, Jan. 22.
The people of the Public School in town, instead of giving their usual presents to their teacher, were requested by the teacher to contribute the money formerly spent on friends to help buy presents for the poor of the town. The children contributed nearly $17 for the Sick Children’s Hospital, Toronto.