Bantam hockey team departs for two-week Sweden...
Bookmark and Share
Dec 31, 2014  |  Vote 0    0

Bantam hockey team departs for two-week Sweden trip

St. Marys Journal Argus

25 years ago — 1989

Family, friends and members of the St. Marys Minor Hockey Association were at the Community Centre to wish the ANAF Bantams good luck as they left for a two-week trip to Sweden, with 19 players, four managers and 36 family members making the overseas trip.

We See: THAT principal Bart Brown reports that the DCVI will soon have an elevator built, probably in 1990.

The Farm Women’s Club met at Sir Joes for their Christmas dinner, with 24 present. Mrs. Helen Mann was convenor.

50 years ago — 1964

Without a doubt, no matter how much various historians might rave about other area buildings, the local Town Hall is a masterpiece or architecture not to be equaled in this part of Ontario. As a matter of interest, the Town Hall contains a “hanging room.” This makes a cheery Christmas theme and may well enliven the conversation when the youngsters refuse to go to bed on Christmas Eve. The rope still hangs in this room, located in the round tower at the southeast corner. We hate to spoil the suspense, but all that ever hung at the end of those same ropes was fire hose. Around the turn of the century (1900), the hose wagon used by the Fire Department was stationed underneath the Town Hall and firemen used the tower to dry out hoses following a fire.

The Town Hall was completed in 1891, built of native stone with the exception of sandstone sills over the arches and in other places around the building. According to the most reliable information available, the cost of the building at the time was a mere $12,000, an unbelievably low figure in this day and age, when a two-bedroom house would cost at least as much to erect.

The bell tower, reached by a doorway from the balcony in the upper auditorium (and thence by stairs to an upper room from where an open flight of steps leads to right underneath the bell itself), is an interesting piece of architecture. The view from the bell tower is well worth the climb, providing the tower’s pigeon residents move aside long enough for the sightseer to get a view.

The fire siren mechanism is located in the lower tower room, while the amplifier is in the bell tower. Controls for the siren are at the fire hall on Water Street, where a flip of a switch starts the “old moaner” into action. (Front Page Editorial — Dec. 27, 1964)

75 years ago — 1939

What was believed to have been an RCAF Oxford training bomber, twin-engine, passed over the town at a low altitude recently. It was travelling at a good speed.

St. Marys friends were highly interested in the fact that a widely-known and beloved son of the Stonetown, the Very Rev. Dean D.J. Egan, now pastor at St. Joseph’s Roman Catholic Church in Stratford, has attained his 40th anniversary in the holy priesthood.

From West Nissouri Township Council: It was moved and seconded that the Road Superintendent purchase 1,500 feet of snowfence and a sufficient number of iron posts. Kenneth Brock and Walter Jones were awarded the contract to operate the township snowplows at $3 per hour.

100 years ago — 1914

Pleasant Hour Theatre is being well-patronized at present. Manager Provan is sparing no expense to give his patrons first-class pictures and good vaudeville. The Million Dollar Mystery and Lucille Love are winners.

New Land Titles Offices are being opened by the Saskatchewan government at the City of Swift Current and in the Town of Humboldt on Jan. 4. Mr. Paul Harding, formerly of St. Marys, will be Registrar at Swift Current. (News of the Town)

At the last regular meeting of the East Nissouri Township Council, a motion was placed in the records that, in the event of an election, votes for women’s suffrage will be placed on the ballots. (News Around Town)

Local auctioneers who regularly advertise in the Argus are Joseph White (Queen Street West), Thomas Smith (R.R. 1 Sebringville), Wm. E. Nairn (R.R. 5 St. Marys), R.E. McIntosh (R.R. 8 St. Marys); Robert S. Brown (R.R. 1 St. Marys); Edward J. Ferguson (R.R. 1 Science Hill).

The De Long Hook and Eye factory is closed until after Christmas holidays. A good season’s business is looked for at the beginning of the New Year. (News of the Town)

Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

In Your Neighbourhood Today