25 years ago — 1989
A full-page feature is entitled “Area Churches Mark the Birth of Christ” and includes pictures of Kintore United Church, Motherwell-Avonbank Presbyterian Church, Kirkton United Church, Woodham United Church, South Nissouri Presbyterian Church, and the “steeple of St. James Anglican Church, St. Marys.” Times of services are included.
Blue boxes for recycling household waste, the start of the floodwall construction, and approval for two major housing subdivisions and a large truck parts factory were among the highlights of Town business in 1989.
50 years ago — 1964
We See: THAT a basket-weave type of wooden fence has been erected by the PUC, to the south of the office on Wellington Street North. The new fence acts as a divide between grass and parking area.
NOTICE: “Kingsway Lodge Changes Ownership.” As of Jan. 1, 1965, Kingsway Nursing Home presently operated by Mr. and Mrs. James McFarlane will hereafter be under the ownership of Mr. and Mrs. James S. Pyne, who will be moving to the Lodge immediately. Mrs. Pyne is a registered nurse and has been on the staff of St. Marys Memorial Hospital for the past several years. She is also a veteran of the Second World War. The new owners, on possession, plan future improvements for the safety and benefit of the patients and future maintenance of the same high standard that Kingsway Lodge has been know for during its many years of operation.
Pupils of the two-room school put on an excellent Christmas concert again this year. Mrs. Norman Watt and Miss Jean Porter are the teachers and Mr. Eric McKay the music instructor.
For 24 years, Percy Cline has been offering DISCOUNT PRICES to St. Marys and Western Ontario buyers of men’s and boys’ clothing. Why go elsewhere when DISCOUNT PRICES are a regular policy at Percy Cline’s? Compare these prices and compare with similar quality merchandise. Where in Western Ontario are Sports Shirts, regular $65 now $2.95; Men’s White Dress Shirts, regular $5.95 now $2.95?
The Highway gangs have been busy putting up the snowfences. (Downie)
75 years ago — 1939
For 45 years, the farmers of the Carlingford and Motherwell communities have drawn their grain to the chopping mill on the 12th Concession of Fullarton, operated by the late John Gettler and of late by his son, Nelson Gettler. In this age of machinery, so many farmers have installed grinders on their own farms, that the work of the local mill was greatly curtailed and the owner has sold the grinder to a Mr. Lindsay of Petrolia, where Mr. A.E. Watson of Motherwell delivered it one day last week. It is with no small measure of regret that some of the farmers see the mill close, which for nearly half a century had served them so well. (Motherwell)
Who wouldn’t live in an up-to-date community? A bus takes 27 pupils to Mitchell High School from this surrounding district. (Mt. Pleasant)
The majority of Maxwells, Ltd., employees are working overtime these days as a result of the general rush in lawnmowers and wringer products. (News of the Town)
100 years ago — 1914
The annual entertainment of the South Nissouri Presbyterian Church Sunday School was held recently at the church. (Friendly Corners)
Mr. Wm. Zurbrigg has been re-modelling his Chipping Mill and has everything running smoothly. (Science Hill)
The trustees of S.S. No. 7 Downie have the brick on the grounds ready for the new schoolhouse. The bricks were purchased in London. (Avonbank)
This week’s Argus has school reports of several local Public Schools. They are: Motherwell, Lakeside, S.S. No. 10 Berryland (Blanshard), Belton, S.S. No. 3 Black Creek (Downie).
Berryland has ceased to be, the Post Office being closed last week. We are back to the old-time “Salem.”
L.A. Ball has just received a dandy stock of picture moulding for frames. (News of the Town)