Kinsmen offer to coordinate the numbering of homes
Bookmark and Share
Oct 23, 2014  |  Vote 0    0

Kinsmen offer to coordinate the numbering of homes

St. Marys Journal Argus

25 years ago — 1989

A new heating system and elevator and an addition to the library and administrative offices of the St. Marys DCVI were included in the Perth School Board capital forecast for 1990.

We See: THAT A.J. Baker and Wildwood public schools have raised $18,271 over the past seven years in their annual Terry Fox Run for cancer research.

Announcement: Change of Ownership. Dwayne and Cathy Hubbard Pharmacy are pleased to announce that they have purchased the McIntyre Drug Store, Queen Street, St. Marys. Until Oct. 18, 1989, both stores will be open to serve you.

50 years ago — 1964

We See: THAT good progress is being made on the site of the new East Nissouri Township school located between Uniondale and Medina. The white brick structure is now completely closed in and work is progressing on the interior. It would appear that construction is on schedule for the proposed January, 1965 opening.

Over 1,000 visitors called at the St. Marys Museum in 1963, and the committees are overjoyed that they reached their goal for attendance.

The official opening of the new Central School for Usborne was held recently and several from Woodham attended. (Woodham)

The Uniondale correspondent remarked that the new five-cent Canada Christmas stamp that went on sale recently is an attractive one, practically all blue, and the new three-cent one is a little brighter in colour. It is a shade of red.

Recently, three members representing the Kinsmen Club of St. Marys attended a Town Council meeting with the offer made by the Club to take on the numbering of houses in St. Marys as a project. Council, at their last meeting, had guaranteed to pay up to $1,000 towards the project. The Kinsmen delegation now informed Council that they had come to the conclusion that the Kinsmen Club would do it themselves without the financial support of Council, although they appreciated Council’s offer.

75 years ago — 1939

The new houses at the Uniondale Corner are making a fine appearance and are of a substantial and attractive style.

St. Marys women have already been plying their needles to help the Canadian troops. Mrs. Wm. Near knitted three pairs of long socks this past week, which she is turning over to the Women’s Patriotic League. There is a lot of work in this job, which so many women have gladly undertaken. 80,000 stitches goes into one sock.

The Journal Argus would like to have a complete list of all men and women from St. Marys and district who enlist in the military service of the country during the present conflict and invite the cooperation of all its readers and friends.

E. Theodore, 67 year-old plasterer of Stratford, was badly injured in a fall in the new Public Utilities building here, on Wellington Street, when he overbalanced on the plank on which he was standing to plaster a portion of the ceiling. The injured man was taken to Stratford General Hospital by Dr. R.H. Latimer, where it was ascertained that both his heels had been broken.

Two weeks of Special Services concluded the opening of St. Marys’ new Gospel Tabernacle. The pastor, Rev. Dr. Jose M. Scott, in conjunction with the announcements, gave a hearty welcome to one and all in attendance.

The local Armory was closed recently and the equipment on hand is to be stored. It was in 1921 that the Armory was first opened on Queen Street and then occupied the present quarters on Water Street, across from the Post Office, these past years. The mobilization of “D” Company for active service makes the further maintaining of the quarters unnecessary.

100 years ago — 1914

VALUABLE PROPERTY FOR SALE — On Queen Street East. Lot 55 by 100 feet, has stone building, suitable for store, with comfortable residence above. There is ample space to build a second residence fronting on Queen Street if desired. For further information, apply at Argus office.

Only a few names for the new school have been suggested to the Public School Board and it has been decided to call it the “Central School.” The names suggested were not considered to be the most appropriate for the new building, ad doubtless the name “Central” will appeal to the citizens as being the most suitable. (News of the Town)

Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

In Your Neighbourhood Today