25 years ago — 1989
The Presbyterian congregation of Avonton and Motherwell-Avonbank have extended a Pastoral Call to Rev. Catharine Ann Calder to accept a call to this charge to be the Minister.
A Vest Pocket Smile (by Ray Bennett’s Mens Wear): “How do conversations start in Hawaii, which has the same weather all year-round?”
A list of some upcoming activities for the lades: Woodham UCW; McConnell Club; Hillcrest Rebeckah Lodge; Kirkton UCW; Farm Women’s Club; Thamesview UCW; Uniondale Women’s Institute. The McConnell Club will celebrate 75 years of service; Nora Clench Chapter IODE marks their 50th annivesary. An Ombudsman official will be guest speaker at the Crumlin Women’s Institute.
The CPR’s property, along the east bank of the Thames River south of Victoria Bridge, has been purchased by the Town. This will allow for the creation of a paved parking lot and landscaped area behind the Opera House.
50 years ago — 1964
We See: THAT Art Pringle and his paint crew recently refurbished the Water Street Bridge with a fresh coat of green paint.
We See: THAT asphalting operations are underway on property at the rear of Queen Street stores, between Wellington and Water Streets, owned by the PUC. T.G. Hammond, Ltd., have the contract.
That dangerous curve on Perth County Road 19, better known locally as the Centre Gravel, a mile north of town, is to be replaced by a more graded, modern curve. A construction crew with heavy equipment moved in this week.
We See: THAT an interesting geological phenomenon is evident on the site of the new Cement Company quarry on the south end of what was formerly the Ferguson farm. The surface of the newly-uncovered bedrock is as smooth as a dancefloor and the usual glacial deposits sometimes evident on the surface of the top layer of rock are not evident here. Apparently, a channel of the Thames once ran over the bedrock after one of the glacial periods, making the surface smooth.
At a brief ceremony, the cornerstone of the new Knox Presbyterian Church in the village of Harrington was put into place with the minister, Rev. Samual Kerr of Embro, officiating. The new church replaces a brick structure destroyed by fire earlier this year.
75 years ago — 1939
The list of officers of the Perth Regiment M.G. is now completed. The Commanding Officer is to be Lieut. Col. McComb of Stratford, who served in the last war. In private life, he was a conductor on the CNR at Stratford. St. Marys officers who will serve in the Perth Regiment are Major J.S. Lind will be second in command; Lieut. J.G. Jose will be Medical Officer; Lieut. John. G. Bell will be Signal Officer; Lieut. George Carr will be in charge of the Regiment Maintenance Office. The new commander of D. Company will be Capt. Morris Andrews of Stratford; Capt. C.B. Arrell, second in command; and Lieut. Harold Snelgrove as No. 10 Platoon Commander.
The new houses at the Uniondale corner are taking on a finished appearance and are of a substantial and attractive style. (Uniondale)
100 years ago — 1914
The Wellburn Women’s Institute has sent a cheque for $50 and a bale of clothing to the Red Cross Society at Toronto. They extend their thanks to all who contributed.
At a special meeting of the Collegiate School Board, a motion made by Trustees Smith and Bennett was carried: “That the Board approve of the idea of forming a Cadet Corp and that the Principal be asked to take the necessary steps for forming a Cadet Corp, with the understanding that a Scout Master be in charge at all times, who will be responsible for any damage or misconduct.
From a large advertisement: “Wash Day Is What You Make It.” Pictured is a Wringer — “That Will Actually Wring Clothes, Instead Of Your Hands.” Also pictured are “Irons That Will Hold The Heat. A Hot Iron, a Cold Handle.” See these at St. Marys Hardware, Ltd.