25 years ago — 1989
St. Marys Homecoming Weekend is being planned for next July 1.
The Labour Day weekend is over and Slater’s farm picnic has again come and gone. The hospitality of Allan, Bev Slater and family, as well as some friends, makes this particular program well worthwhile to return to year after year. A good crowd of hungry corn lovers was in attendance. (Friendship Centre news)
Notice of Intention to Designate: The Council of the Corporation of the Township of Blanshard intends to designate the property, including land and buildings, at Part Lot 21, Concession West Mitchell Road, with the reason for designation “Architectural.” The two-storey house, constructed of cut fieldstone, was built around 1848-50.
50 years ago — 1964
Recently a short article appeared in the Journal Argus with reference to the pioneer flour and gristmill at Glengowan. The mill was thought to have been built about 120 years ago by Peter Nicols, a pioneer of this district in the milling business. He was the grandfather of Mrs. Marion (Dickson) Burgess of St. Marys. Mrs. Burgess says the Oatmeal Mill, the remains of which are still visible, was on the west side of the Thames River upstream from St. Marys. The village of Glengowan was a busy little spot containing a flour and gristmill, several dwellings, a shoemaker shop and a store. Later, the mill was owned by the McKay family, then by Charles Ruthig, grandfather of Lloyd Ruthig and other descendents in the area. The last owner was Wm. Zurbrigg. Today (written in 1964), the village mill is gone, so have most of the dwellings — all but one stone house and the old barn on the hillside, where the mules used to dwell.
Steam locomotives still owned by CNR and CPR are still available to municipalities and institutions. You can buy any of these last two dozen from $3,000-$10,000, provided you will display them properly.
Eleven new teachers joined the staff of St. Marys DCVI for the September term. A total of 35 teachers will be on duty at the local high school to start this term, plus Mr. Andy Hoe, who will instruct the Band and Cadets on a part-time basis.
75 years ago — 1939
The new galvanizing and tinning factory of the C. Richardson Company, situated on James Street South, is now ready for full production and five men are being employed there at present. This new department will be a great convenience to farmers, cheese and butter factory owners, and others who require the repairs and tinning of milk and cream cans or anything else in the container line.
Summer holidays are over again and teachers and pupils have returned to their respective seats of learning. Some of our teachers have taken new schools. Norma Crago, who has taught in Dashwood for a number of years, goes to Wellburn School, and Max Crago, who was formerly near Exeter, goes to Greenville, near Dundas, where he accepted the position of principal in that school. (Glengowan)
Mr. and Mrs. Gordon McEwen and daughter have moved to St. Pauls to reside as Mr. McEwen started teaching school at No. 9 Downie on Tuesday. (St. Pauls news)