25 years ago — 1989
Earlier this year the Town was advertising, in the matter of the Ontario Heritage Act, the property, including lands and buildings, on Water Street South as a property of architectural value. The structure, unusual by its style and building material, was built in 1921. It was used by Jack Sgariglia as a warehouse for fruit which would have been shipped to St. Marys on the CPR. The walls are of pressed concrete and the roof of currogated steel. One of its kind, this building is unique in St. Marys and most worthy of designation.
Hillside Nursing Home staff and owner Doris Murray are to be congratulated as the Canadian Council of Health Facilities gave the nursing home a three-year accreditation. (Avonton News by Jack Matthison)
75 years ago — 1939
From Township of Usborne Council: You are hereby notified under authority of a bylaw of the Township of Usborne that no cows or other livestock will be allowed t o pasture upon the roadsides of Usborne Township after the 15th day of July unless each animal is tethered with a chain. Cows or other livestock found out of bounds may be impounded.
NOTICE: Ratepayers, Township of West Nissouri. Two cents a rod will be paid to township ratepayers who cut the weeds on the road allowance adjoining their property. Roads will be inspected Sept. 1 and, if weeds are not cut satisfactorily at that date, they will not be paid for.
Nineteen children ranging in ages from 6-12 years had their tonsils or adenoids removed in the second annual clinic at the Town Hall on two days earlier this week. For those two days, the Public Health Nurse’s office was used as a reception ward, the Council Chamber was pressed into service as a convalescent ward. On Monday, 11 children underwent the operation and seven youngsters had some of their troubles removed at the hands of Doctors Jose and McInnes. Doctors who performed the operation were Dr. J.E. Williams, MOH; Dr. R.H. Latimer, Dr. Jose and Dr. McInnes. Nurses in attendance included Miss M. Walker; Public Health Nurse, Miss Janet Kippen, R.N.; and Miss K. Richardson, R.N. All of the children have made good recoveries.
100 years ago — 1914
The Old Central School: With the ongoing demolition of the Old Central School by contractor Leslie has been the cause of much comment in the Stonetown. It is not to be wondered at that many people view the destruction with somewhat strong feelings. Many generations of St. Marys and area boys and girls have been educated there. Its corridors and classrooms were sacred places to those who, years ago, took their secondary education there.
The first authentic records available commence June 25, 1856, and the subject under discussion was securing of a site for a new High School.
From Blanshard Council: The engineer has condemned the old wooden bridge superstructure over Fish Creek on the Base Line near Woodham. It would, therefore, be necessary to replace the same with a new superstructure with cement flooring.
NOTICE: Highland Mary Camp Sons of Scotland will celebrate the 600th anniversary of Bannockburn by holding a grand garden party on the Flats. The Camp, headed by the Cement Plant Kiltie Band and Piper, will march from their Club Room. Refreshments on the grounds. “Come and foretogether w’ your ain’ folk.” Admission: 10¢.