25 years ago — 1989
St. Pauls Women’s Institute, Downie Optimists and Steve Otto Drainage recently presented new uniforms to three Minor Ball teams in Downie. Peewee Girls, Bantam Boys and Squirt Boys were the recipient teams.
The congregation of Grace Community Church is anticipating an upcoming Sunday evening service, when a commissioning of five young people will be held. Five teenagers will be spending the forthcoming summer vacation serving in various capacities in the church’s teen mission, both in Canada and abroad.
50 years ago — 1964
Mrs. H.B. Newton is visiting friends in Brockville, where she was supervisor in the General Hospital for several years prior to returning to St. Marys. She also visited in Prescott, Cardinal, Ottawa and Toronto. (News of the Week)
With the Ontario Firefighters Convention slated for St. Marys over Civic Holiday weekend, souvenir programs of previous conventions in 1912 and 1927 have come to light. The 1012 program was a most practical one, the firemen simply had envelopes printed up with the entire proceedings printed on back and front with a space left for the address. Scott Whaley found the 1912 envelope in what would appear to be an unlikely place for reference to an undoubtedly rather lively occasion. It turned up in an old minute book of what was then the Methodist Church. The circumstance is explained by the fact that the envelope contained a tender from Wilson Bros. for a new Church furnace. A notation on the envelope carries the information: “less allowance for bricks on old furnace.” The 1927 program was discovered by Don Savage tucked away in a corner at the cold storage on James Street. Naturally, the book is in very good condition after 37 years “on the ice.” The 1912 envelope describes St. Marys as the prettiest town in Western Ontario. Nobody will argue with the assertion that “It is the solidest town in Canada — built on the rock.” Twenty miles of cement walks and the fact that St. Marys was the largest user of hydro-electric power in Ontario, outside the City of Toronto, were other points mentioned. The late F.G. Sanderson was Mayor that year.
G.S. Edwards of Stratford, Public School Inspector for South Perth for the past 27 years, will retire July 31 and his position will be taken up by J.H. Grammer, Smiths Falls.
75 years ago — 1939
Editorial Jotting: King George has set a standard for Canadians when he stood at attention during the singing of O Canada at Ottawa, says The Wiarton Echo. “We have long had the desire to rise when the National Anthem has been played by our Town Band but have lacked the courage of our convictions. From now on, every loyal Canadian should show the respect for O Canada as for God Save the King. Our King has shown the way.
Hon. Nelson Monteith, Embro Road, played the role of host to about 75 members of the Motherwell-Avonbank Presbyterian Sunday School children and parents. Dinner was served and the afternoon was spent in sports, baseball and bathing. (Motherwell)
Men and teams of horses are at work rebuilding and filling in the millrace bridge. The hill north of the mill is being cut down and widened. (Glengowan News)
100 years ago — 1914
Report of Promotion Exams, S.S. No. 10 Blanshard: Jr. 4 to Sr. 4 — Alec Crago, L. Beavers, I. Berry, H. Paynter, B. Ross; Sr. III to Jr. IV — K. Beavers, B. Bragg, R. Kirkby, B. Bailie, A. Crago; Jr. III to Sr. III — I. Bellamy, F. Spearin, A. Bragg, P. Paynter, V. Kirkby; 2nd to Jr. II — B. Ross, L. Kirkby. (Berryland)
The cement work of the new grandstand at the Fairgrounds has been completed and the wooden frame work is now underway. The new grandstand will prove a decided acquisition to the rounds, which have been leveled and drained. A number of farmers gave valuable assistance in leveling the grounds last week.
The first cargo to reach the Atlantic coast by way of the Panama Canal reached New York on May 27. It was a cargo fo sugar from Hawaii — 21,000 sacks. It is too early yet to say what the opening of the new route may mean to world commerce.
WANTED TO PURCHASE: 5 to 10 tons well cured new hay, suitable for cattle feeding, in lots of one ton or more, at market value. Apply to Weir and Weir.