25 years ago — 1989
Town Council will urge the Upper Thames River Conservation Authority to approve a restoration and development proposal which would breathe new life into an 1869 frame house, the UAP building and a former PUC storage shed on Water Street South. Mr. Lorne Eedy, publisher of the Journal Argus, is owner of the three properties located on the southeast corner of Jones and Water Streets.
A Bible stand was dedicated to the memory of the late Mable Hardie at the North Nissouri United Church on a recent Sunday. (Ebenezer)
Although there’s no money in the Town’s 1989 budget for floodwall for parts of Trout Creek and the Thames River, Mayor Teahen told the Journal Argus recently that Council “would like to have something done about the proposed floodwall this year.”
The Fullarton Township Centennial Park Board made a decision to construct new lights for the ballpark. The present facility was constructed as a centennial project in 1960 and has been a meeting place for many for 23 years.
50 years ago — 1964
It was reported at the recent Town Council meeting that the new landfill dump was now in operation and that pest control application has been applied to the dump area. It was also mentioned that there are needed repairs being make to Victoria Bridge and certain sidewalks nearby.
We See: THAT McLean-Foster Construction, St. Marys, has been awarded the contract for Bain Bridge Number 2, Concession 4 and 5, Downie.
We See: THAT the Wiley’s Construction firm of Listowel has commenced operations on the site of the new dyke and road being constructed by the St. Marys Cement Co., over the area formerly occupied by the Town Dump.
A Kintore lady was very pleased to receive her wallet in the mail, which she had lost in a London store recently. It was returned by a seven year-old girl. (Kintore news)
A number from here attended the Induction Service for Rev. Howard Kerr in Caven Presbyterian Church, Exeter, recently. Howard’s father, the Rev. S. Kerr, was a former preacher at the Avonton and Motherwell Presbyterian Church. (Avonton)
We See: THAT six former Maxwell employees began new duties with Beatty Bros., Fergus, recently. They are Bob and Joe Graham, Alwin Noble, Pete Gregory, Arthur Bennington and Mac Barron.
We See: THAT John Gaffney Construction, Stratford, has been named low bidder for two three-span bridges and construction of 7,200 feet of new road in connection with the Wildwood Dam, three miles east of St. Marys.
75 years ago — 1939
The Public School Board heard Inspector Edwards’ report and found it very encouraging and thorough. The Board agreed to purchase portraits of the King and Queen for the Central and West Ward schools. He commended the teachers on outlook and sound teaching methods in their approach to the new course of study. Among his recommendations was that an added year before the entrance work be taken in order that the young pupils should not begin High School work at too early an age. He suggested that 14 years of age was the proper age for entrance to High School, and was of the opinion that every child should be six years of age before beginning school.
St. Marys friends are keenly interested in the announcement that Rev. George W. Birtch, B.A., has resigned his pastorate of Tavistock United Church to accept a post in Foreign Mission Work in West China.
Miss Evelyn Walkom and pupils of Kirkton Public School attended the South Huron Music Festival, held in James Street United Church, Exeter. Those taking part: Rosle Fletcher, Kenneth Blackler, Norma Tufts, Bobby Bibby, Ethel Blackler, Ray Morrison, also a duet by Helen McNaughton and Edith Fletcher. (Kirkton)
100 years ago — 1914
From a length account of the De Long Hook and Eye Company, Ltd.: “A machine for the manufacture of an ordinary pin has been ordered and should soon be in operation. One machine that makes safety pins requires an expert to handle it, and this operator gets as high as $5 a day. The work’s important and it pays to get the right market for safety pins, hook and eyes, small buttons, fasteners, etc.”
Several from here were in St. Marys on Monday night to hear the bell ringers. (Anderson)