25 years ago — 1989
The exhibits at the Kinsmen Antique Show and Sale, held on the weekend at the St. Marys Arena, were many and varied.
The congregation of Union Church heard Ann Slater show her experiences from a recent Agricultural Tour of Nicaragua.
FAMILY PRACTICE — Dr. R.J. Hiscock is pleased to announce that his daughter, Dr. Susan Hiscock, has joined him in Family Practice at 28 Wellington Street, St. Marys.
Brian Dundas, who has been a player, coach, Shamrock representative, and tournament organizer over the years in St. Marys Minor Hockey, will lead the SMMHA association next year.
Although Stonetown Construction began moving earth this past winter in preparation for phase one of the Meadowridge subdivision, an objection by the Upper Thames River Conservation Authority set back development of the subdivision. The extensive subdivision, slated for a 105-acre parcel of land south and east of the arena, envisages a total of 232 lots of varying sizes.
50 years ago — 1964
Two retired St. Marys Public School teachers, Miss B.J. Hamilton and Miss Beatrice Muir, received awards and gifts from the FWTAO at the lat meeting of the St. Marys unit of the Teachers’ Association, held at the Central School recently. The awards were presented in recognition of over 40 years service to the teaching profession by each of the two recipients.
The contract for the new dike and roadway over the site of the town dump has been let by St. Marys Cement Co., to the Leonard Willis Construction firm of Listowel. Reported contract price is $110,000, the lowest of eight tender bids submitted. The Cement Co. is paying for the full cost. Work will begin on May 1 and it could take some three months to complete.
Congratulations to Glen Gregory, a student at Ridgetown College, who completed his term and was successful in passing his exams.
75 years ago — 1939
Two CNR construction gangs have started laying heavier rails between Stratford and London. One gang, with headquarters at St. Marys Junction, have 17 cars including bunk cars of various equipment. Another construction train is in the siding at Belton. The present 80-pound rails are being replaced by 100-pound rails. The change has already been effected between Toronto and Kitchener and, when the balance of the route is completed, it will be possible to run the heaviest locomotive on this line. (Around the Town)
Belton is quite a live place this week. The CNR work train landed in on Monday at Kelly’s Siding, and 125 men are busy laying steel. Tuesday is shipping day. Mr. Ray Slater does a rushing business in livestock, using trucks for transportation. (Belton)
Teachers home for the Easter holidays are Marion Johnston of Edy’s Mills, Dorothy Camm of Toronto, Margie Laing of St. Stephen Twp., Gertrude Camm from near Exeter, and Wendell Camm of Camperdown. (Woodham)
Those away for Easter holidays: Miss Hazel Crawford of USS No. 2 (Blanshard and Downie), and Mr. Con Crawford of No. 9 (Downie) at their homes in Ridgetown and Stratford; Ruth, Vera and Laverne Richardson holidaying with Mrs. Murray Hopson. (Bethesda)
100 years ago — 1914
The Board of Works have made a great improvement to the roadway on Water Street to the Town limits at Skelley’s Hill. This strip of road was badly potholed by the frost but dragging carried out by the Town Works Department this past week has remedied the problem. (News About The Town)
Plans for the new grandstand at the St. Marys Fairgrounds are ready. Those who want to make a donation of money for trees to beautify the grounds are requested to leave word with B.F. Lancaster or C.W. Coupland. (News of the Town)
Mr. John Bolton, while driving on that much-condemned River Road, had a runaway. He was thrown out and sustained some severe bruises and shock. The horse was recovered next morning. Travellers on the River Road, when overtaken by night, should camp until morning and then resume their journey. (Motherwell)