25 years ago — 1989
A recent Journal Argus featured pictures of five Heritage Bridges in St. Marys, along with a brief description of all five. A view of Victoria Bridge, over the Thames River, is taken from the balcony of the Lion’s Fitness Centre and shows the bridge’s four arches. The original stone bridge was completed in August, 1865, and rebuilt in 1983. The 11-pillared Viaduct over Trout Creek, still part of the much-used railway line between Toronto and London and further south, was built by Grand Trunk in 1860. The Sarnia Viaduct over the Thames was built by Grand Trunk in 1865. The steel truss bridge on Water Street North is one of a disappearing breed. The double-arch Church Street Bridge was constructed about 1901 to replace a wooden bridge. It was rebuilt and plaqued as a local heritage project in 1979. The Town has two more significant bridges (not show): The Park Street Bridge and the Wellington Street Bridge.
50 years ago — 1964
We See: THAT the Chainway store was in the midst of a redecorating program. Jack Scheuermann is the painter for this job.
We See: THAT the level of water in Lakeside remains low despite the spring rains and run-offs. Docks around the edge of the lake are still high and dry.
We See: THAT McLean-Foster Construction, Ltd., has been named low bidder for construction of a bridge over the Nith River at Princeton on the Oxford-Brant County boundary.
We See: THAT the Ontario Department of Highways has called for tenders on grading, drainage, granular base and hot mix paving on Highway 19 from Uniondale to Kintore, a distance of 5.3 miles. Tenders are due April 8.
Congratulations to Mr. Jack Cooke, who was successful in passing his government examination in barbering. (Motherwell)
75 years ago — 1939
The St. Marys Town Council, at their last meeting, made a motion to amend the Traffic regulation so that the local police may put an end to the nuisance of U-turning at the downtown intersection on Queen Street. This shuttling of traffic, especially on Saturday afternoon and evening, has been a bugbear for a good many years but now it will be curtailed once and for all.
License issuer Jack Lucas turned over 756 sets of passenger car markers in seven days and swelled the total of registrations at this point to 1,700 passenger cars, 130 commercial, and 100 trailer licenses to day, which is considerably more than were sold to the same period last year — and the threatening attitude of the authorities is said to be responsible.
Headline: “Their Majesties will not stop at St. Marys.” There had been a great deal of speculation by local persons as to the forthcoming visit of their Majesties King George and Queen Elizabeth. Dispatches have even appeared in district newspapers stating that the Royal Train would probably spend the night at St. Marys Junction or in Kelly’s Siding, but all these stories were based on nothing more solid than supposition.
100 years ago — 1914
Hearn: In St. Marys, March 29, the wife of Robert J. Hearn, a daughter.
The curling season in St. Marys may be considered as practically ended after a pleasant and successful period of play lasting for about six weeks. The early part of the winter was not very promising and it was nil until well on in January that the Frost King got in his work, and the merry ring of the stone and the jolly shout of the curlers could be heard in the old rink, which has been many an exciting contest.
The St. Marys Curling Club was organized on Dec. 30, 1867, the organizing meeting being held in Constable’s Hotel with George McIntyre as Chair and William Somerville as Secretary. A full list of the first members of the Club appears in this issue of the Argus. Also in this issue, we read that they were negotiating for a pond on Hutton’s flats sufficient for three rinks, and the members were called on to flood it by the help of the fire engine. A shanty was also to be erected at the side of the pond. The shanty was to be 12x8 and seven feet high, double roof and board and batten.
Mr. D. Duggan has bought the large brick residential property of William Pulleyblank, contractor, adjoining Mr. Jeremiah White on Queen Street East. (News of the Town)