25 years ago — 1989
O Canada and a moment of silent reflection will constitute morning exercises in Perth County public schools from now on. Perth County Board of Education trustees voted in its Special Committee’s recommendation regarding the replacement of the Lord’s Prayer in the schools.
On April 17, Fred Steinmetz, long-time St. Marys resident, will run the 26 miles in the Boston Marathon.
50 years ago — 1964
We See: THAT renovations are well underway in the Queen Street store formerly occupied by Ross Electric. Marshall’s Ladies Wear will move into these premises and will be connected to the adjoining Gift Shop by an archway at the rear. Bert Dalrymple is the contractor on the job.
We are happy to see that Mr. and Mrs. Robert McLeod of St. Pauls have moved into their new home, which is situated next to Misses Alma and Alda Murray. (St. Pauls)
Mr. and Mrs. Ellison Butcher recently gave a solid walnut hall tree to the St. Marys Museum which had belonged to his parents, the late Mr. and Mrs. F.E. Butcher. Mr. Butcher owned the Cooper Shop on Queen Street East where, in 1964, the Supertest sign now floats in the breeze. In the early days, it was a busy spot, manufacturing barrels of all sizes and description, and employed more than a dozen men. They made small kegs for shipping nails and substantial water barrels used by farmers in this district to catch the rainwater, which the women of the household used for laundry purposes.
75 years ago — 1939
Lloyd’s of London, Insurance Handler of the world, have increased the premiums on policies covering loss of business for failure of the King and Queen to visit Canada. It is felt that the acute international situation in Europe may prevent the projected visit of their majesties to the Dominion in May.
In the fall of 1937, after 40 years of farming in the Creelman district of southern Saskatchewan, James Dykes, a native of Prospect Hill, brought his wife and family back to this district in two freight cars. They had been forced to leave the West because of the drought of the past seven years. Mr. Dykes is on his feet again, and is operating a farm just north of the village of Prospect Hill.
Many St. Marys citizens were shocked last week to learn of the death in Toronto of Miss Gladys Montezambert, a former resident and native of this town. Her father, the late W.C. Montezambert, was, for years, accountant in the Bank of Montreal here, and the family home was where Mrs. F.R. Dale now resides in the West Ward. (News About Town)
100 years ago — 1914
A congregational meeting was held last Friday evening at First Presbyterian Church to consider the closing up of the Old Cemetery, which is being taken over by the Town and converted into a park. The meeting was well-attended and included the Methodist and Church of England congregations. All three congregations agreed to the Town’s offer of converting it into a park, and all agreed that the Cemetery must not be desecrated in any event and should be kept as a place where memory was hallowed by reason of the noble band of pioneers who sleep the sleep and whose self-sacrifice and conscientious adherence to the truth had done so much for St. Marys.
Father Thames has not been true to the traditions of its past; in former years, its practice had been to break its fetters of ice on the Sabbath. This year it recognized the Sabbath as a day of rest and deferred, until the second day of the week, the mad rush of its water.
Eggs have taken another drop to 26¢ a dozen.
A meeting was held at McKim’s School recently to consider the advisability of rebuilding Uniondale Cheese Factory. The meeting was well-attended. A vote was taken and all showed a good, live interest. A vote was taken and it was unanimous in favour that they wanted a factory. (Uniondale)
The Collegiate Gymnasium has been demolished and a good riddance. No one will mourn over its departure. This will give the girls a splendid ground for tennis and other games. (News of the Town)