25 years ago — 1989
After reviewing local traffic flow, the lay of the land, and Transportation Ministry design criteria, B.M. Ross and Associates concluded that no turning lane is required to handle traffic generated at the proposed 30-unit Stonetown Co-operative Housing development on Queen Street East.
Eight teenagers who are members of the Youth Group from Grace Community Church left at the weekend for Montreal, where they will help the Haitian congregation in the services by singing, witnessing and giving their testimonials.
Representatives of the Blanshard Municipal Telephone System were joined recently by Northern Telecom representatives and by members of the Blanshard Council to officially open a new $250,000 remote subscriber line module. The module, located at Rannoch, ties 100 subscriber lines in with the company’s existing exchange.
50 years ago — 1964
The day of the one-room schoolhouse in East Nissouri is rapidly drawing to a close. The Township School Area “A” is reported to have purchased a five-acre plot of land from Roy Monteith, located on No. 19 Highway between Medina and Uniondale. Original plans for the new central school called for a four-room structure but present indications are that the Medina and Brown’s Corner school boards will amalgamate with the Medina and Uniondale school sections. This comes following the recent township school board amalgamation move by the Ontario government. In view of the addition of two more sections, it is likely that the proposed four-room school will be expanded somewhat.
Editorial: “With all the talk about new school additions, sewers, and road building, that proposal to build a new Park Street Bridge across the Thames River of a decade ago seems like something that really should have been done. It seems to us we missed the boat. We certainly miss the bridge, and the total cost at the time for a two-lane concrete structure was $60,000 — a mere pittance by some of today’s expenditures, shall we note. Mayor Archie Skinner was strongly in favour of the new project, but his idea was over-ruled by others on Council.”
75 years ago — 1939
“They builded good in the 1870s”… at least that is the impression one gets from a visit to the old South Perth Registry Office, which is destined to be the new Gospel Tabernacle, when W.J. Stafford and his workmen get through with the demolition and re-building some time in the future. Already, a huge pile of bricks, another large pile of cut flagstones, and still another pile of rubble and earth have been disgorged from within the four walls of the old filing cabinet, and there is still a heap of stuff to come out yet. The three internal arches built of seven courses of brick and covered with several feet of mortar, have been removed, the stone slab floor has been lifted, and the many masonry supporting walls — one every three feet — have been partly removed to date, but before the structure is transformed into a church, much more work has to be done. The walls of the building are 30 inches thick and the mortar in between the brick and stonework is as solid and binding as the day it was placed there. Mr. Stafford says the doors of the vault bear the date 1877 and the name J.J. Taylor.
100 years ago — 1914
THE REASON the reading public takes the St. Marys Argus: We tell them weekly about the events and movements of people, to whom they are interesting. We publish the births, marriages, deaths and personal social and other community happenings. We tell about the improvements to property, sales, building operations. We give the factory, shop, church, school and fraternal society news — everything that goes to make up the sum total of the life of the town and surrounding districts. (St. Marys Argus)
Recently, 80 members of the J.B. Lodge, of Toronto, paid a fraternal visit to St. Marys Lodge No. 36. The visitors arrived by special train about 8:30 p.m., and headed by a drum and bugle band, marched to the Town Hall. NOTE: To travel 100 miles by special train shows what Oddfellows will do for one another. A genuine Ontario snowstorm greeted the visitors on their arrival. They returned home at 2:30 a.m., feeling that the warmth of their hospitable reception more than offset the colder mood of Dame Nature.
ADVERTISEMENT: Dominion Chinese Café. Has been opened up in Chalmers Block, Queen Street, north door to Patterson’s Shoe Store. Meals will be served at all hours in a most up-to-date manner. (Harry Thomas, Manager)