25 years ago — 1989
Rambling Reporter (John Eedy): “Where the Old Mill Apartments new stand on the banks of Trout Creek was the Savage Feed Mill, operated by James Savage and his two sons. Across the stream was the Baird Planing Mill. The proprietor, Dan Baird, graciously cleared out one of his big buildings for an annual carnival sponsored by a Town club.”
Several decades ago the town fathers (Council) had widening work done on the portion of Widder Street from Holy Name of Mary Church to the St. Marys Presbyterian Church. Some residents felt that their property rights were being violated by the street restructuring and being widened. But it all turned out well and a very awkward residential roadway was made much safer for pedestrians and vehicles.
50 years ago — 1964
We See: THAT two CNR trains running between London and Toronto and passing through St. Marys at 8:05 a.m. and 8:20 p.m., and which did not stop at the depot here, have been advised to do so. This order came a week after Mr. C.E. Richardson had written to the CNR passenger service director, Mr. Hart, in Montreal. The letter was mailed in November and an acknowledgement was received by Mr. Richardson in a few days. The train has now been making regular stops in St. Marys. This is a great convenience for those who travel between here and Toronto and points in between.
At Perth County Council’s final meeting of 1963, County Engineer T.B. Collings told Council that, when a St. Marys bypass is completed in three or four years, a county road leading south from St. Marys will be the most heavily travelled in the Perth County road system. The new bypass will use the new Wildwood Dam as a bridge over Trout Creek. The road leading from St. Marys now has a traffic count of 1,000 vehicles daily.
Mr. and Mrs. Ronald Lang and family, of Wildwood, recently moved into St. Marys, which means one of the oldest family names in the community is gone. Ronald was a member of the fourth generation of Langs who lived on the ancestral acres, and his children, the twins Harold and Heather, and their brothers Stephen and John, belong to the fifth generation. The UTRCA bought the farm, and isn’t it nice to know that the name Wildwood is to be retained and the dam to be called “The Wildwood Dam.” (Uniondale)
75 years ago — 1939
Guests were plentiful at St. Marys hotels on Tuesday night as winter storm conditions made the town their stopping place. Some of the marooned travellers were from various parts of western Ontario and others from Michigan. A St. Marys traveller attempted the trip to Stratford, got as far as Conroy, and was forced to return to St. Marys.
Pictured in this week’s Journal Argus is the “cabin erected by Patrick Nash over 60 years ago” and it is now vacant for the first time since it was erected about the year 1858. “Paddy” Nash was one of the score of unknown to come to St. Marys around that time to help build the old Grand Trunk Railway. There were many such railway workers’ cabins in the town half a century ago but, one by one, they have all disappeared, the Nash House being the last.
100 years ago — 1914
Recently, Mr. D. McCulloch and family moved into their new home on the north side of Queen Street East. Mr. McCulloch has very appropriately named his residence “Outlook,” its location affording such a splendid view. The scenery, overlooking Trout Creek and area, as viewed from the Observation Room at the rear, is most magnificent. The building is a two-and-a-half storey, red pressed brick with stone walls for foundation, and with the celebrated cut stone sills and lintels, for which the Thames Quarry is famous. We wish the McCulloch family every happiness in their new home.
FARMERS: Get your Farm Supplies at the D. Maxwell and Sons Warehouse, which is now in charge of Mr. W.J. Evans. Here is a short list of the many lines that the store carries: Sleighs, Cutters, Grain Grinders, Water Basins, Machine Oil, Food Choppers, Wind Mills.
Mr. Ernest White of the White & May Co., returned home after a two-month absence in the Northwest firm’s branch at Strathmore, Alberta. The White & May Co., Ltd., thought that Strathmore had no industrial future and, consequently, it would be better to concentrate their efforts in Ontario.
Avonbank Post Office has now been closed and it is now R.R. No. 5, St. Marys.