25 years ago — 1988
Pictured in this week’s Journal Argus are construction workers from Boehmer Construction as they dismantle the east chimney of St. Marys Presbyterian Church. The chimney was removed to prevent the possibility of it falling through the church roof as the west one did two Sundays ago.
The City of London has dropped its threat to annex the vital airport property and neighbouring industrial land in West Nissouri Township, which provided close to 40 per cent of township revenue.
In this week’s Rambling Reporter by John Eedy, he recalls several items of St. Marys history . . . “Remember when?” A neighbourhood General Store flourished at Rannoch. Also at Rannoch, there was a gas pump on the northwest corner and a few years later, the Sweetzir Brothers had a garage and a Willy’s automobile agency. A mile west on this County Road is “Brine’s Corner.” When the intersection was first rebuilt and paved, it made young drivers feel that it was the perfect banked curve for testing their driving skills.
50 years ago — 1963
We See: THAT J.S. Lind, of St. Marys, was one of four new members named to the Stratford Shakespearean Festival Board of Directors.
We See: THAT construction is going ahead at the Wildwood Dam construction site. Huge tarps have been spread over the concrete and steel section of the Dam, and propane gas blast furnaces are being used to keep the area warm enough to pur concrete.
The CN Railway Shops in Stratford have been sold to the Cooper Bessemer firm and 200 employees are to be moved to other jobs or laid off. This plant, where steam locomotives have been repaired since the 1870s, employed about 2,500 men and it was Stratford’s largest industry. The coming of diesel electric power on the rails has made the numerous railway shops unnecessary.
Eaton’s of Canada sent to Mrs. Stuart Shier a large box of books, of various subjects. The books have been presented to the Kirkton Library and will be available to readers. On the back of each book is inscribed: “Presented to the Community of Kirkton, Ontario, by Eaton’s of Canada, on the occasion of the unveiling of an historical plaque to the late Timothy Eaton on Aug. 18, 1963. (Kirkton)
75 years ago — 1938
A rumour found currently in the London, Ontario, daily newspaper is to the effect that Fred G. Sanderson, MP for the riding of Perth County, and Deputy Speaker of the House of Commons, is favoured for an appointment to the Senate. Citizens in his home town of St. Marys, in discussing the rumour, are freely of the opinion that Mr. Sanderson would make a worthy Senator, though Liberal enthusiasts are wondering a bit just who in the next election could take his place as Liberal candidate.
Perth County will operate two snowplows this winter for the clearing of County Roads and highways. Both machines are being rented for the season with the option of buying them at the end of the winter season if the County Council deems it prudent.
At a meeting earlier this year, the St. Marys Collegiate Board passed a motion and forwarded it to the Department of Education that, since St. Marys was a separated town and 40 per cent of its high school students come from the County, the Board favoured the retaining of the three County Trustees of the Board.
From the “Do You Remember” column of 25 years ago: In 1913, Messrs Stafford and Henderson, contractors, are remodeling the choir galley at the St. Marys Methodist Church. The pulpit has been lowered and brought to the front and the organ console taken to the rear and the choir moved back against the organ. Forty new noiseless choir chairs take the place of the choir benches.
100 years ago — 1913
The annual meeting of the Kirkton and St. Marys Telephone Company was held at Aberdeen Hall, Kirkton. The Company is about the largest company in Western Ontario. Mr. Mowat Driver was elected Chairman of the meeting.
Owing to the severe weather we have been experiencing, the outlook for an ice harvest becomes more optimistic. Mr. and Mrs. John S. Murray braved the inclement bad road conditions on Monday last to be present at the Diamond anniversary of Ms. Murray’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Murray of Stratford. (Motherwell)
A number of Nissouri farmers have made application to the Hydro-Electric Commission for power and light. Mr. T. Morrison has taken the 4th and 5th Line milk route to the Blanshard-Nissouri Cheese Factory for the coming season. (Cherry Grove)