Baptists host Town Hall bazaar to help pay down...
|
Bookmark and Share
Oct 17, 2013  |  Vote 0    0

Baptists host Town Hall bazaar to help pay down debt

St. Marys Journal Argus

25 years ago — 1988

Recently, the Chairman and Captain of the various groups needed to organize the Curling Club were elected. Many took advantage of the opportunity to get a look at the new building. The interior of the building is still in an unfinished state but will be completed in a few weeks’ time. The ice-making machine has been installed and the lighting was pronounced “terrific.”

We See: THAT Monday, Oct. 17 at noon is the time to be at the St. Marys Public Library to witness the opening ceremony for the recently-renovated and expanded building.

50 years ago — 1963

Many visitors thronged to the newly-decorated Zion East United Church, Mitchell Road, on a recent Sunday. This little rural church was filled to capacity for the Centennial Service.

A fine modern front is now in the process of construction at the Marriott Funeral Home, Wellington Street South. Robert Lindsay, proprietor of the funeral home, and the contractor, Murray Mitchell, have completed plans for an addition to the front of the present premises and preliminary excavating is now underway.

We See: THAT the marquee over the entrance to the former premises of the Lyric Theatre on Queen Street East is being removed by Bert Dalrymple and helper.

We See: THAT paving contractors have completed the four-inch coat of asphalt on No. 19 Highway from south of Uniondale to No. 7 Highway, east of St. Marys.

Editorial: “There is no more Theatre.” Someone occasionally sheds a tear that there is no longer a cinema in the Stonetown. There is a building, but it has been closed and we fear for good. It is a pity, indeed, particularly since thrilling Saturday’s featured episodes were films our young fry enjoyed.

75 years ago — 1938

There has been a large renewal in farm equipment by the people of this community recently. Recent purchases include a new tractor by Stanley Adams and a new truck by Milton Betteridge. Fred Slater’s new house is being pushed towards completion. Pouring of concrete has commenced on the new garage and service station on the corner of the 10th for Elmer Greason. (Uniondale)

Headline: “Large Crowd at St. Marys Fall Fair On Tuesday Last” Most of the local merchants cooperated with the Fair Board this year and closed down their stores for two hours. This gave the clerks and employees a chance to visit the Fair and help swell the crowd. It is many years since such a line-up at hot dog stands, and at trinket and games booths, was observed.

100 years ago — 1913

The Baptist Church Bazaar, held in the Town Hall recently, was a decided success. The object of the bazaar was an effort to raise funds toward wiping out the Church mortgage of $1,200, and a considerable amount towards this was realized. Among articles for sale was a fine autographed quilt on exhibit in the hall. The quilt was made by the Young People’s Society of the Church, and netted about $60. The Young People are making an effort to raise $200 toward wiping out the balance of the Church debt.

The Wellington Street Bridge will soon be lighted by 25-watt tungsten lamps.

A Special Meeting of the Town Council was held to deal with a petition of 82 property owners for the re-submission of the Flour Mill bylaw. From Coun. Bartlett: “I am in favour of submitting the bylaw again. It didn’t get a square deal last time, or the result would have been different.”

It is the recommendation of a Coroner’s jury at Toronto that drivers of all automobiles be licensed instead of the cars. The motor vehicle is harmless, but it is fatal in the hands of an inexperienced driver. Why, then, should the machine be licensed and the driver not? Automobiles require a license, except for police purposes.

125 years ago — 1888

The Avonbank Cheese Factory closed this week to allow time for building a new factory. The old building is being torn down and building will commence as soon as it is out of the way. (Avonbank)

The members of L.O.L. No. 707 intend holding their annual shooting match and ball on the afternoon and evening of Nov. 5. The shooting match will be held at Mr. Dunbar’s farm. Music will be furnished by a string band from Blanshard. A grand time is expected. (Downie)

|
Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

In Your Neighbourhood Today

SPONSORED CONTENT View More