25 years ago — 1988
A proposal for the development of 32 townhouses on a parcel of land at the east side of town brought several expressions of concern, mostly from property owners in the neighbouring Hillside Court subdivision. The land is located opposite the Golf Course and is bordered on the west by Hillside Court and Grace Community Church, and to the east by a tributary of Trout Creek. The proposal calls for the construction of 12 two-bedroom units, 15 three-bedroom units, and four four-bedroom units.
The former Ross Pharmacy on Queen Street has now become Hubbard Pharmacy as of May 27, 1988.
50 years ago — 1963
Close to 80 members of the St. Marys Marching Band colour guard and majorettes left shortly after midnight, Wednesday, for St. Marys, Ohio. The band travelled in two buses.
The Girl’s Club of Brooksdale held a supper in Brooksdale Church recently, with their Mothers and friends attending. (Harrington)
The Messengers’ picnic of North Nissouri Church was held at Cadzow Park, St. Marys. Games and contests were enjoyed, as well as swimming. (Transvaal)
D.G. “Dub” Louch, who manufactures a well-known line of face protectors in his establishment at the rear of his Queen Street store, has taken a long, hard look at the situation in regards to skull protection for hockey players. He is currently putting the finishing touches on his model of a skull protector with something he hopes will be a little better than what is now available.
Kirkton United Church recently observed their 75th year of Christian service. Two former members of the church, who had spent their early days in the community, were the special speakers for the day. They were Rev. Allan E. Duffield of Hamilton and Rev. R. Gordon Hazelwood of Lambeth.
75 years ago — 1938
The beautiful shaded meadows on the farms of Messrs. Monteith and Cardwell, along the Embro Road in Downie Township, sometimes known as Bimini, is the locale this week of the largest gathering of Religious Education Council students in the history of the district. Something like 60 boys and 90 girls with their mentors are encamped in this picturesque spot for a period of five days. The campers are from the Townships of West Zorra and East Nissouri, and are under the direction of George Towle, boys’ work superintendent for East Nissouri, and Melvin Bates, boys’ work superintendent of West Zorra. Dorothy Gregory of Lakeside, and Alex Green of West Zorra also assisted.
The Sunday School picnic was held recently on the schoolgrounds of U.S.S. No. 2. There was a good attendance and everyone enjoyed the races, games, etc. Misses Anna Dunbar and Edna Lang were in charge of the sports. (Bethesda, Downie)
The canning peas have all been harvested in this district. The crop has been very satisfactory to the growers. (Winchelsea)
100 years ago — 1913
There is a monster picnic and demonstration to take place in St. Marys in the end of August. The function is being staged in honour of Dr. P.T. Coupland, who is shortly to be appointed Grand Master of the Oddfellows Of Ontario, a signal honour both for the Doctor and for the town in which he lives. The picnic will be held on the Collegiate grounds.
Information About Regina: Anyone wishing full information about Regina, its ground, borrowing power, buildings, a chance for good investment, may receive same from George H. Norris (formerly of St. Marys), Western Trust Building, Regina, Sask.
125 years ago — 1888
Kirkton — Summer of 1888: “We Lead the Trade — For Honest Goods; For Lowest Prices; For Full Weight; For Square Dealing, etc.; and For Fine Suiting; For Boots and Shoes, etc. Doupe’s Store — Highest prices paid for Butter and Eggs.”
One of our Town industries, which on account of its location is not brought into prominence as much as others, is Messrs. Armstrong and Skinner’s brick and tile yard. These gentlemen have lately added some improved machinery and are now turning out first-class material. In fact, they can hardly fill orders, so great is the demand. The brick to be used in Mr. Bartlett’s house is from this kiln.
A large number of young people of St. Marys went out to Lakeside recently to spend the day. All came home thoroughly satisfied with the day’s sport and also with the kindly way in which the people of Lakeside treated them.