Parade of the Lodges converges on St. James Church
|
Bookmark and Share
Jun 27, 2013  |  Vote 0    0

Parade of the Lodges converges on St. James Church

St. Marys Journal Argus

25 years ago — 1988

Pictured in a recent Journal Argus is Reg Near receiving a parting gift from former Assistant Postmaster George Clark. Looking on are Bill Bodenham and Postmaster Bev Rabbets. Reg worked at the local Post Office for many years as a postal clerk.

From the Master Gardener: New transplants, such as trees, shrubs, evergreens and herbaceous plants, should be high on the priority list for regular watering. Do not be fooled by summer rains; many do not penetrate the tree canopy or grass cover over the root system.

We See: THAT Mary Ruppel, of St. Marys, placed second in the Ontario English Catholic Teachers Association golf tournament in Middlesex County.

50 years ago — 1963

W.A. Clarke, St. Marys, won the Hackney Pony Single award for his entry in the Stratford Horse Show. Orville Bedard of Thorndale also won the award for Best Four Horse Hitch.

Pictured in a recent Journal Argus is the large “digger” owned by Roy Kew, as a load of refuse from the entrance to the mill race near the dam is dumped into the waiting Town truck. The level of Trout Creek had to be lowered before a construction company could start work on the Church Street bridge repairs. The water refused to bridge until the rubbish was removed from the mill race outlet.

We See: THAT Gayle Atwell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lorne Atwell, Belton, appeared as soloist with the Johnny Downes Orchestra at Wonderland recently.

The annual Church Parade of South Perth L.O.L. County Lodges took place in St. Marys recently. Members of Orange Lodges from Lakeside, Stratford, Mitchell, Wartburg and 707 Downie paraded to the St. James Anglican Church, St. Marys. The North Easthope Pipe Band led the parade. Members of the St. Marys Ladies L.O.L. also took part in the service. Ernie Vannatter is County Marshall.

75 years ago — 1938

The Decoration Service of Brown’s Hill Cemetery, on the Wyton Road, is being held on June 26. Brown’s Hill Cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in this section of Middlesex County. One of the first burials recorded took place in the year 1830.

Shrubs and trees which had grown to quite a size and form a thicket on the on the north side of the St. Marys Public Library, were cut down or trimmed recently and the grounds have been greatly improved in appearance.

Members of the Perth Regiment, M.G., including “D” Company, St. Marys, will travel to the annual Parkhill Camp, near Thedford, on the CNR. A special train will arrive here on Sunday a.m., June 26, and the local company will board it at the Junction, according to present plans.

Lady Streeton (Nora Clench), distinguished Canadian Musician and native daughter of St. Marys, has succumbed to a lengthy period of ill-health. This greatest violinist had not been well for several years. Nora Clench was born in the Clench Home on Robinson Street.

100 Years Ago — 1913

About 600 farmers from South Perth took in the excursion to the O.A. College at Guelph and spent a most pleasant and profitable day. Special trains were run over the Grand Trunk, starting at St. Marys and taking on passengers at St. Marys Junction, St. Pauls, Stratford, Tavistock, Tavistock Junction, St. Columbia, Sebringville and Shakespeare. Excursionists from Dublin and Mitchell districts came by train to Stratford and joined the excursion there.

NOTICE: Auction Sale of the McIntyre Church property. On the 8th Concession, Township of Blanshard, about six miles from St. Marys. Monday, July 7. Consisting of Church, Furniture, and Shed. The Church is a brick structure, 45x30 feet with basement. Furniture: Organ, pulpit, oak pulpit chair, good chandelier. The shed is 50x44 feet, nearly new. Joseph White, Auctioneer. By order of Trustees.

The Boy Scouts of Ingersoll will hold their annual camp this summer at Lakeside.

Engineer Roger, of Mitchell, surveyed out the new road from Flat Creek Bridge to the hill opposite the W.A. Atkinson farm last week. (Glengowan)

The trustees have had a new fence built around the school grounds. It improves the appearance very much. Mr. Wm. Sinkins did the work. (Medina)

House To Let: At $6 per month. West Ward. Apply to O’Brien Bros.

House For Sale: One and a half good storey frame house, containing 11 rooms, hard and soft water. Good location, corner of Jones and St. George Streets. Apply to Mrs. Kate O’Connor, Clare, Michigan.

|
Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

Latest Local News

News

Elma class teaches inclusion with new Buddy Benches

NEWRY - A class of Grade 6 and 7 students have left their mark at Elma Public School, and has...

Snapshot

News

Monkton family overwhelmed by support at CF fundraiser

MONKTON – When Sharon Hudson began planning a fundraiser for her son Cory and others suffering from...

Snapshot

News

Local women needed for new North Perth fundraising team

NORTH PERTH – A local committee is looking for a few good women, who in turn want to do a whole lot...

Snapshot

News

Habitat for Humanity project moves ahead with groundbreaking

LISTOWEL – After many months of planning, fundraising and meetings, the new Habitat for Humanity...

Snapshot

In Your Neighbourhood Today

SPONSORED CONTENT View More