Newly-formed Boy Scout troop helps direct traffic
|
Bookmark and Share
Jun 19, 2013  |  Vote 0    0

Newly-formed Boy Scout troop helps direct traffic

St. Marys Journal Argus

25 years ago — 1988

Here’s a small portion of a full-page notice in a recent Journal Argus: “Canada Post Corporation — Keeping our Commitments in Rural Canada.” Canada’s rural communities are vital to Canada Post. In fact, one of the most important parts of our commitment is making post products and services more accessible to rural Canadians. To help us do this, we plan to use the resources and the expectations of the private sector. Simply stated, by using retail merchants to sell stamps and other postal products and services, Canada Post can concentrate on what it does best — picking up, processing and delivering the mail in a cost-effective way that benefits all Canadians, rural and urban alike.

The residential subdivision proposed for the Bailey property south of the St. Marys arena envisions more than 200 lots of varying sizes which will accommodate a variety of building types. A preliminary plan of the subdivision proposes a three-phased development for the 95-acre property.

50 years ago — 1963

Help Wanted: Men and women to work during the summer at Vegetable Canning. Possibility of day or night work. Apply in person to Canadian Canners Ltd., Exeter, Ontario.

Another milestone in the Upper Thames River Conservation Authority’s $10-million plan for water conservation and flood control was set in motion officially when John Turner, MP for the riding of St. Lawrence-St. George in Montreal, together with the Hon. Kelso Roberts, Minister of Lands and Forests for Ontario, dug their polished spades into the earth and turned the first sod for the dam and reservoir at Wildwood.

The Downie Music Festival was held in Avonton Presbyterian Church recently.

75 years ago — 1938

Two new houses are being erected up at the corner of King and Elgin Streets, East Ward. One is built by J.W. Stafford for Chief of Police J.S. McArthur, and the other by John Wood for A.G. Kirstine. The completion of these two red houses of modern design will fill the last vacant spot on that section of the town.

St. Marys Rotary Club was well-represented at the yearly District Conference held at Port Huron. Four St. Marys speakers addressed the gathering: Wm. Harrison, Robert Harstone, Jake Harris and W.R. Clarke. Several other local Rotarians attended.

The recently-formed St. Marys Boy Scout troop helped to direct traffic on Queen Street, East, when a truck broke down, blocking the main street. These boys did a splendid job and kept at it in spite of the rain. This is but a sample of the service the new troop can be to the community.

The Royal Bank is having a new roof put on their building.

100 years ago — 1913

From a full-page ad: “St. Marys Choice Lots For Sale.” Coleman Subdivision. These lots are part of the property formerly owned by the late Wm. Coleman, Esq., on Church Street South, and right in the centre of the industrial growing part of St. Marys. Within five blocks of the property, FIVE HUNDRED MEN ARE WORKING every day, and every two weeks TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS is distributed in wages.

From Town Council: Coun. White said he had looked into the matter of cost of a footbridge over Trout Creek near the London railway bridge. Mr. Patterson gave him a price of $250. Mr. White was of the opinion that a bridge could be put up for $200. He will further look into the matter.

Mr. J.O. Mitchell, furniture dealer and undertaker, has purchased Mr. H.H. Stevenson’s house on Water Street North, and will move in a few weeks. This is one of the most desirable properties in town. (New of the Town)

The Oddfellows will decorate the graves of their departed brothers on Sunday afternoon. They will march to the cemetery headed by the Maxwell Leaf Band. On Sunday evening, the appropriate sermon will be preached by the pastor of the Order. The Kilty Band will head the procession. This will be the new band’s first public appearance.

125 years ago — 1888

The Maxwell Works are progressing rapidly, under the able and energetic management of Mr. J. Near, contractor and carpenter work, and Messrs. Clyde and Malcolm, contractors of the mason work. Quite a start on the stone work has been made, yet the contractors will be hard-pressed to have all the work done in the specified time.

Thos. B. Bennett (successor to R. Reid and Son) is prepared to manufacture or repair all kinds of Agricultural Implements on the shortest notice. Having had 28 years in the business, he feels confident he can fully satisfy all who entrust him with their work.

|
Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

In Your Neighbourhood Today

SPONSORED CONTENT View More