Young volunteers sought for re-cataloguing...
|
Bookmark and Share
Jun 07, 2013  |  Vote 0    0

Young volunteers sought for re-cataloguing Library's books

St. Marys Journal Argus

25 years ago — 1988

We See: THAT the Canadian flag atop the PUC’s old water tower is again waving in the wind, and that the new flagpole should do much to increase the flag’s longevity.

Woodbridge Inoac Inc., the joint Canadian-Japanese company currently completing an auto parts manufacturing plant in St. Marys, is currently hiring “team leaders” with a view to beginning production in September.

St. Marys Esso Sales Agent Vic Hearn won an Early Bird draw, compliments of Esso.

There was a great deal of enthusiasm at the early media day held recently at the Downie Optimists Community Hall in St. Pauls for the official signing of the agreement to host the 1988 International Plowing Match in Perth County. Following the signing of the agreement re: the Downie site, many of the 225 people present boarded buses, owned by Ellard Lange, to view the site of the Plowing Match at Charlot Farms, where balloons were launched. (Avonton News)

50 years ago — 1963

At their recent district convention, the St. Marys Kinsmen Club was awarded first place over 73 other Kinsmen Clubs in this district. The project was Cadzow Park Recreation Building. The service project which the Kinsmen Club, St. Marys, wish to enter into competition is a two-storey factory building, 50 feet by 40 feet, which has been converted into a modern recreation facility to serve the needs of the community and district. The recreation building is much like a YMCA but will be used to serve everyone in St. Marys and surrounding community, all age groups, both sexes and all religious denominations.

The building is located centrally in St. Marys and was built 50 years ago as a shoe factory. Approximately 1,500 panes of glass fitted out the walls and the ends on each storey. During the 1939-45 war, Maxwell Limited of St. Marys used the building to make hand grenade shells. After the war, the De Long Hook and Eye company used the building to make hooks and eyes, and pins, especially bobby pins, which were coated with a liquid resin material, etc. The service effort by the 16 members of the Kinsmen Club of St. Marys has made recreational pursuit, in this centre of 4,500 people, available to one and all.

75 years ago — 1938

From Town Council: The chief business was the arranging for oiling and sanding the streets of the town. Stone chips were much preferred to the sand spread in former years. Sand merely serves as a temporary cover for the oil and forms no thickness of covering on the streets. However, stone chips, such as were used on Queen Street pavement last year, are packed into a surface coating to a reasonable thickness.

Some months ago, an article in the Journal Argus called attention to the fact that the first Junior Red Cross Branch in the world was the group organized in St. Marys during the Boer War by Miss Adelaide Clayton, B.A. who at that time taught English and Moderns in St. Marys Collegiate Institute. It has now been announced that official recognition of the fact will be given at the XCVIth International Red Cross Conference, which is to be held in London, England, next month.

St. Marys to Embro CPR is among the lines prepared for abandonment in a proposal now before the Senate. 5,051 miles of CPR lines are proposed for abandonment and the CNR lines proposal calls for 2,216 miles of the main line and 1,043 of the CN’s branch lines for abandonment.

100 years ago — 1913

Tenders will be received for the drilling of a four-inch well for S.S. No. 1, Fullarton and Downie, at Motherwell. Tenders will be required to furnish all supplies and their own accommodations. Apply W.W. Roger, Secretary of School Board, Motherwell.

From “Special” meeting of Town Council: To discuss the matter of oiling the streets, and to deal with the Collegiate Institute’s request to provide and put in place to the credit of the Institute the sum of $8,000 for the purpose of erecting and equipping a gymnasium.

The work of re-classifying and re-cataloguing the books of the Public Library is proceeding slowly. The committee would be pleased to have the assistance of any young ladies or gentlemen in numbering the books. If the work is left to one or two of the committee, it is quite possible that the books will not be in circulation for another month.

The work of re-building the manse is progressing rapidly. The excavating is completed and the work of raising the roof and adding a second storey will begin at once. (Avonton)

|
Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

In Your Neighbourhood Today

SPONSORED CONTENT View More