25 years ago — 1988
Sue Fowler, a St. Marys area resident, was appointed to the position of activity director and Friendship Centre coordinator by Town Council. The position became available with the retirement of Elizabeth Pearson, who was in charge of activities at the senior citizens’ recreation facility for the pats 14 years.
Erecting a fence around the open perimeter of the abandoned quarry on Water Street South will cost the town a minimum of $11,000. That includes a contribution of $3,500 for the project. Neighbouring residents as well as the municipality have been concerned now for some years that there is potential for a serious mishap at the abandoned quarry, which is 40-50 feed deep. At one time, the quarry was used as a back-up water supply.
50 years ago — 1963
At the recent meeting of the District Collegiate Board, members were given a list of the teaching staff for 1963-64. There will be 32 teachers on the staff, nine of them new.
The Uniondale Women’s Institute visited St. Marys District Museum recently. The president, Mrs. Kenneth Langford, and 35 of the members called at the oldest stone house in St. Marys (Cadzow Park House) to view the collection of antiques and see the house itself.
We See: THAT ground is being prepared for a new residence for a Salvation Army office on the vacant lot directly south of the Citadel on Peel Street.
From Town Council: The property of Alfred Nelson, Thomas Street South, consisting of nine acres, has been purchased for the sum of $12,000. This land will be used as a sanitary landfill site.
75 years ago — 1938
Despite the fact that modern highways are crowded with speeding motorists and multi-ton trucks, the law still protects the lowly horse. To exemplify this, the law worked on “dobbins” behalf in Stratford police court recently, when a citizen of Toronto was fined $10 and costs as the result of his truck colliding with a horse driven by Wm. A. Birtch, mail carrier on No. 2 St. Marys. The accident occurred near Conroy Corners, when Birtch’s horse, started by the noise of the oncoming truck, shied and jumped into the way of the truck. The horse had to be done away with because of injuries. It is not generally known but Section 83, Subsection 1 of the Highway Traffic Act says that a driver of a motor vehicle approaching a horse must take precautions against frightening it in any manner.
The Sunday School is holding anniversary services afternoon and evening. Rev. Mr. Walden of St. Marys is preacher in the afternoon and Rev. L.C. Harvey of Granton at night. This little Sunday School is small, but is doing good work. (Prospect Hill)
100 years ago — 1913
An old landmark, a stone building at the rear of W.A. Birtch’s property, recently purchased by the CPR to make way for the new CPR freighthouse premises., has been removed. It formed a part of the old Bank of Montreal premises with that institution was on Water Street South, 45 years ago. (News of the Town)
From Town Council: Messrs. Weir and Weir asked the liberty from Council to erect a drinking fountain at the corner of Park and Church Street, to be erected and maintained at their own expense and to be under supervision of Council. (Referred to the Parks Committee)
This isn’t a leap year but there will be just as many June brides.
125 years ago — 1888
For Sale: A first-class pony for sale. Apply at once to D. McLarty, Wellington Street North, St. Marys.
Mr. E.C. Arthur, of Brighton, a former teacher in St. Marys Collegiate, has successfully passed his final examinations and is now a full-fledged M.D.
Mr. H.A. Southwick of Downie has made some improvement in his cheese factory, such as painting the interior of the building and tarring the roof. There is a large increase in the amount of milk over previous years. Mr. Southwick is an obliging and enterprising man and the factory deserves to be largely patronized. He has engaged Mr. Donald Mackenzie as cheesemaker.
Mr. J.D. Moore has enhanced the appearance of his property on Church Street with a new fence.
Mr. Thos. Ballantyne, MPP, of Stratford, has returned from being to the Old Country.