25 years ago — 1988
A St. Marys realtor is expected to build a commercial building on Water Street South on a piece of property which includes the present Amish parking lot. The amendment permits him to build on this property with the upper storey residential space. Floodplain regulations prohibited the residential space. Council has agreed to sell Mr. Clark the parking lot used by the area Amish to park their horses and buggies provided that Mr. Clark foots the bill for a new parking lot to accommodate them. The town’s parking authority is to come up with a couple of alternative sites for Council’s consideration.
Advertisement: Competitors Computer-ized. It is our opinion every business will have a computer in 10 years. Sometimes it’s right computerize; sometimes it’s wrong. Along study and experience will prove their worth. Signed: Schooley and Mitchell, Management Consultants, Stratford.
50 years ago — 1963
It was 10 years ago, May 21, 1953, that a tornado ripped through this area doing a very considerable amount of damage. (Oliver)
The St. Marys Graduate Nurses Association again sponsored their Tag Day on May 9 and 10, with the public so ably donated the sum of $675 for their worthy projects.
We See: THAT an apartment building is planned for construction on the former Ingersoll property on Queen Street West. The new building will be erected at the rear of the present stone house. The property is now owned by Judge Harold D. Lang.
In the matter of the conservation authority, there is a list of properties expropriated by the Upper Thames River Conservation Authority.
75 years ago — 1938
“When Stratford Voted Down CPR” (from the Woodstock Sentinel-Review): As culmination of a bitter controversy, Stratford ratepayers 25 years ago voted 1,063 to 936 against a bylaw which would have given the Canadian Pacific Railway a right-of-way from west to east across the city’s park system. The line was to have run through Listowel, on the Guelph-Goderich branch. To many Stratford citizens, failure to obtain a second railway has doubtless been a matter of regret through the years, but it may be less so now, when co-operative measures are underway and branch lines are being abandoned. Only the other day, the CPR announced discontinuation of service on the Linwood-Listowel line.
100 years ago — 1913
The Chief of Police, Fire Chief, and a policeman, of Stratford, were killed at two o’clock Tuesday morning when the huge tower of Knox Presbyterian Church, Stratford, fell after being struck by lightning. About 11:30, one flash of lightning came with a great roar, and the tower of the handsome edifice was struck. Firemen responded. Among the first to arrive was Chief of Police McCarthy. Knox Church is one of the largest Presbyterian Churches in Western Ontario, and was one of the showpieces of the City.
Notice: The St. Marys Public Library has been closed for two weeks to permit the official cataloguing of the new system, and any outstanding books are to be returned at once to the library.
The country roads are getting fine and smooth and the automobiles are taking possession of them. (Devizes)
The position of choir leader and organist of First Presbyterian Church has been offered by the Music Committee to Mr. Allan G. Jeffries of Galt. (News of the Town)
125 years ago — 1888
Mr. Nelson Monteith, of Downie, who has been a student at the Ontario Agriculture College for a year, has passed the examination for first year students most creditably, ranking second. He took honours in eight out of 11 subjects.
Mr. J.N. Gray, our popular Photographer, has purchased a large instrument made especially for outdoor work. It has all the latest improvements by which he can easily photograph objects in a very rapid motion. He can make a picture as large as 11 inches by 14 inches. He has an exhibition at his studio of views of some of the principal residences of the town, which, for truthfulness of detail and beautiful light and shade, are certainly works of art. He has a full line of scenery, entirely new in design, among which are some beautiful boating scenes. (Gray’s Photo Studio)