25 years ago — 1988
McLean-Taylor Construction Ltd. have signed an agreement to purchase 95 acres of land south of the St. Marys Arena and propose to develop the property for mixed density, residential use. The land, considered to be prime land for future housing, overlooks a valley and the CPR railroad track leading to the St. Marys Cement Co.
The Ontario government has allocated funds which will generate a capital project valued at $125,000 for the Perth County Board of Education, House Speaker Hugh Edighoffer, MPP, announced. The allocation will be used for renovations at South Perth Centennial School.
Arbor Day (or some other convenient day close to the last Friday in April) can be used to foster a greater awareness of the need to heal the scars in the Earth’s natural environment left by the wanton destruction of the forests. Australia has lost two-thirds of its forests and three-quarters of its rainforest. Each year, Canadian forests are reduced by almost 2.5 million acres — an area about the size of Prince Edward Island. (Donal O’Connor — On The Line)
50 years ago — 1963
We See: THAT Bob Sass has been chosen to attend the 11th World Boy Scout Jamboree in Athens, Greece, this coming August. Bob was recently made a Queen’s Scout.
We See: THAT Kintore Boxes Ltd. has the contract for renovations to the rear section of the former Ingersoll Home on Queen Street West. This section is being converted into apartments. The home is now owned by Judge Harold D. Lang.
We See: THAT sub-awards have been issued to Pounder Bros., Stratford, for the addition and renovation work at the local branch of the Bank of Montreal.
Sealed Tenders: for the construction of 2,000 feet of steel beam guardrail on Water Street in the Town of St. Marys. Plans, specifications and tender forms available at the office of R.M. Dawson, County Engineer.
For the fifth consecutive time, the Hon. J. Waldo Monteith, Minister of National Health and Welfare, will carry the Progressive Conservative standard in the coming election.
75 years ago — 1938
Hydro Engineer Parker of Toronto was in town recently conferring with members of the St. Marys Public Utilities regarding the matter of supplying power to heat the local Public Library. (Town News)
Public School Principal McLeish has arranged to have a new air-conditioned Canadian National Railway coach placed on the siding in St. Marys at an early date. The teacher, who is teaching lessons in Canadian Transportation, will have an opportunity to escort the people through the modern coach, as a practice feature of their instruction. Mr. McLeish and his staff are appreciative of the courtesy and consideration shown by the CNR official in making the necessary arrangement.
Miss Grace Maxwell, music supervisor in the St. Marys Public Schools, has again brought honour to the schools in accepting the request of the OEA to train six children to sing in the Public School Choir. Mr. McLeish motored the children to Toronto. The St. Marys pupils were: Ethel Marquis, Velma Vanatter, Doreen Vessie and Edna Gough, and Ralph Chisholm and Charles Sterritt. Charles was unable to attend.
100 years ago — 1913
Stratford will not be considered on the CPR development program, according to a letter received recently by Mayor Greenwood from J.W. Leonard. This action is the result of the citizens not to let the railway have the only entrance the company claims it would consider. (News of the Town)
125 years ago — 1888
A lengthy article re: “Terms of Agreement Between Mr. Maxwell and the Town of St. Marys,” and one of them states: “the Council of the said Town will sell at least six acres of land for the purpose of erecting thereon the building required for the establishment of the Maxwell Agricultural Works, and shall not be obliged to pay more than one thousand dollars for such land.”
We are pleased to learn that Mr. M.W. Lang, son of Mr. Wm. Lang of Downie, has been successful in obtaining his degree of M.D.C.M. from McGill College, Montreal, having passed the exam with honour. Dr. Lang is a man of force and energy, as well as of ability, and we feel certain that a more than ordinary degree of success awaits him in plying t he healing art. (Wildwood)
From Town Council: Re: the building of a bridge from Park Street to the West Ward. Councillor Smith stated that no action could be taken upon the petition, as signed by Mr. V. Hutton and others, for the building of a Park St. Bridge until there was a more definite understanding of the plans and specifications and cost of such a bridge.