Looking Back by Muriel Sheldon
25 years ago — 1988
The Royal Bank, St. Marys Branch, celebrated its 100th anniversary recently.
Missy Little and her father, Ernie, were special guests at Union Church on a recent Sunday. Missy told the children’s story.
Graham Oil, the St. Marys-based oil business started by W.H. Graham and R. Graham, is now in its 62nd year. Since 1970, the business is operated by Bruce Graham, when he took over from his father, W.H. Graham.
Renovations are well underway at the VIA Rail station. The town’s share of the $160,000 redecoration and renovation project is about $25,000, with the balance being paid by VIA, the Ministry of Transportation and Communication, and by the Ministry of Citizenship and Culture.
A ham and bean supper, held at Zion United Church, was a success, with 225 people being served. (7th Line and Leesboro)
50 years ago — 1963
The addition to the Great Star Flour Mill store on Water Street South, created by incorporating the McKay Grocery into the former premises of the mill store, has greatly improved the accommodation for the buying public.
Headline: “Expect Wildwood Dam Contract Will be Awarded By End of May.”
New Ford Agency: Davis Farm Equipment, Queen Street West, have been appointed agent for the Ford line of tractors, farm and industrial equipment. (News of the Week — Town and District)
From Town Council: Mayor Helen Wilson suggested that the contracts for the quarry guardrail be given a “buzz” to see if the work could be sped up on that project. A start has yet to be made.
75 years ago — 1938
Gasoline sales increased 15 per cent in Canada last year. In New Brunswick, the increase amounted to 25 per cent. Tourist traffic is responsible, attracted by the very intensive road improvement plan that is being carried out down by the sea. (Editorial)
The first streamlined bus, with engine in the rear, to be put into service on the Gray Coach Line through St. Marys made the run on Friday. (News About Town)
Messrs. Harvey and Kenneth Royce left recently for Collingwood, where they joined the crew of one of the lake steamers for the summer. (Motherwell)
NOTICE: Eggs Wanted — Our Egg Grading Station on Church St. is now open. All eggs graded on our Electric Machine. (The J.D. Moore Co. Ltd., Phone 41)
Men have been at work for over a week breaking up, dismantling and sorting the large pile of old metal collected in the recent Community Campaign. The junk has been sold to an out-of-town dealer.
100 years ago — 1913
Quite a lot of damage was done to the surrounding neighbourhood on Good Friday by the windstorm, Mr. Wm. Hanna being among the heaviest losers. (Kirkton)
Referring to the Thames at St. Marys, a correspondent writing in the London Advertiser says, “Great quantities of driftwood came down with the ice, an amusing feature in this connection being the arrival of a telephone pole from Stratford, by way of the Avon River, with a canvas poster attached to it with reference to the recently-defeated CPR bylaw in the Classic City. A local citizen took the bill home as a souvenir of the occasion. (Herald)
There was no preaching in McKim’s Church on Easter Sunday, as the minister, Mr. McRoberts, is sick with La Grippe.
125 years ago — 1888
One of the grandest affairs in the shape of concerts, held in St. Marys for many a day, without doubt was J. Cosgrove’s given in the Opera House.
From Town Council: Communication was received from Mr. D. Maxwell intimating that he had decided upon a site for his works. This is the property known as the Marshall site, lying immediately south of Park Street and east of the Railway. The Railway Committee made a verbal report re: removal of the freight sheds. Also: Moved that the Cemetery Committee advertise for tenders to be opened and dealt with for the lease of the pasture lands on the cemetery grounds.
Favourable reports have returned on “the boys” who have recently gone to British Columbia, and house cleaning time is here again — so look out for squalls. (Anderson) Other correspondence came from Granton, West Nissouri, Motherwell, East Nissouri and Avonbank.
Hollis the tailor has just received a new stock of tweeds which he is prepared to make up into first-class style for those favouring him with a call. He will also cut and make garments for any person purchasing cloth elsewhere. Shop: Nearly opposite Beattie and Co.’s, Queen Street, St. Marys.