Looking Back by Muriel Sheldon
25 years ago — 1988
The St. Marys Golf and Curling Club has taken the first steps to add nine new holes to the existing nine-hole course. Eight of the nine holes will be built on a 68-acre parcel of land located northeast of the clubhouse, across Trout Creek. The St. Marys Golf Club first learned that the parcel of land was for sale last June, the board met with owner Doug Waghorn shortly after, a price was agreed on. Mr. Waghorn is keeping seven or eight acres, but the barns are included with the golf course property.
It was the end of an era on March 4, this year, when Massey Combine Corp. closed its doors at Brantford, Ontario. The company went into receivership and this marked the end of the last manufacturer of Canadian combines. (Jack Matthison, Avonton Correspondent)
Notice: 4-H Dairy and Beef Clubs are getting started in the St. Marys area. Please call the OMAF office in Stratford, or C. Jantzi.
50 years ago — 1963
From Town Council: The long fight for guardrails on Water Street at the Quarry, sparked by a petition presented to Council several months ago, is as good as done. Council awarded the contract for the construction of 2,000 feet of guardrail along both sides of Water Street at the quarries to Ronald Saville, R.R. 3 Stratford, at a price of $2.95 per linear foot. The work will be eligible for benefits under the winter works plan and, therefore, 75 per cent of the labour costs would be paid by the Government.
We See: THAT tenders are expected to be called for the building of eight classrooms and a playroom at Biddulph Twp. School Area, near Lucan. Estimated cost is given as $200,000.
75 years ago — 1938
Fred Sanderson, MP, landed at Vancouver, BC on his return from Australia, where he was the Canadian Government representative at the 150-year celebration. Mr. Sanderson was met at the boat by Mrs. Sanderson and Miss Marjorie. They went straight to Ottawa, where the House of Commons is sitting, and Mr. Sanderson is busy with his duties as Deputy Speaker.
The St. Marys Salvation Army celebrated their 30th anniversary. Several members of the Ministerial Association also took part in the service.
A meeting was held in S.S. No. 10 schoolhouse to discuss the installation of hydro. It was voted in favour 17-6. Other business concerning the upcoming Old Boys Reunion in July was also discussed. (Cherry Grove)
The Young Men of Wellburn Hockey Club held a dance in the Winter Gardens, St. Marys, when 200 or more were in attendance. All report having a good time. (Around the Town)
“Ladies Learned A Lot From Her”: Several hundred women picked up pointers at a Cooking School held recently by the Rumsey Chapter IODE. Mrs. H.M. Aitken of Toronto successfully demonstrated the fact there is much to learn by the average housewife. This event was held in the Town Hall Auditorium.
100 years ago — 1913
The worst windstorm that St. Marys and district has experienced for many years was that on Good Friday, and before it had ceased, it had done thousands of dollars’ damage. Trees, fences, chimneys, windmills, signs, etc. were blown down or loosened, and buildings were destroyed. Part of one of the large coloured windows on the west side of the St. Marys Presbyterian Church was blown in. Mr. Rundle, Mitchell Road, Blanshard Twp., had part of the roof of his house blown off, which will necessitate his moving into other quarters until it is repaired. Mr. Chester Evans, of Rannoch, had his windmill blown down, and Mr. Thos. White, of Avonton, who sold his farm recently, had the windmill wrecked and the barn doors blown off.
Farmers and townspeople have been busy repairing their damaged buildings, and the shingle supply of the district has almost been exhausted as a result of the demand. There were many more reports of damage; the Methodist Church, Granton, had one pinnacle blown off.
Want Ad Column: Lost — On Sunday, a sum of money tied in a ladies handkerchief. Finder please leave at Argus office.
Clearing Auction Sale: Jas. White, auctioneer, will sell for Thos. Thompson, West Half, Lot 21, Concession 8, Blanshard, near McIntyre Church, on Tuesday, April 1, 1913.
The mailboxes arrived recently and are being placed in various parts of the Town. There will be two collections daily, at 1:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. If the volume of business warrants, there will be additional collections.