Looking Back by Muriel Sheldon
25 years ago — 1988
We See: THAT Bill Heard, of the St. Marys Arena and Community Centre staff, was recently presented with a gift by St. Marys Mayor Teahen in recognition of 25 years of dedicated service to the town.
Battling world hunger has become an annual “Community event” for the Harring-ton Church community. Sixty tons of grain was bagged by volunteer labour at the dairy farm of Alan Innes of R.R. 3 Embro. The five church denominations in this area funded and bagged the corn (1,200 bags), which was trucked to Hamilton harbour for shipment when the St. Lawrence Seaway opens.
“Is our Post Office endangered?”: Is the St. Marys Post Office really in danger of being phased out under Canada Post’s current corporate plan? Or is the concern being impressed by representatives of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers merely a scare tactic designed to protect union jobs? (Editorial)
50 years ago — 1963
From the minutes of the Little Falls Chapter, IODE (Mrs. Doug Barber, the Regent): A request was received from the Hospital Auxiliary for support at their Fall Fair and it was agreed that the Chapter would be responsible for addressing the invitations.
The School Choir of St. Marys Collegiate Institute is presenting “The Pirates of Penzance” by W.S. Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan in the school auditorium. Adults: 75¢; students: 50¢.
“Cobble Hills Resort Makes Chicago Tribune”: A picture of the Cobble Hills Ski Development on the 7th Concession of East Nissouri, south of St. Marys put this town “on the map” recently. It shows a general view of a ski slope, tow-bar, lodge and parking facilities. Miss Anna Hill, formerly of St. Marys and now living in Chicago, sent the clipping to Mr. and Mrs. Walter Clarke.
75 years ago — 1938
From Ready’s Shoe Store ad: “Thursday, Friday and Saturday only: Just at the time you need Rubber Boots to cope with the Spring mud and rainy weather. Men’s size 8-11 — $1.88 a pair.
The St. Marys Cement Company has taken delivery of two large International steel dump trucks, from the local W.B. Young firm. These trucks, it is understood, will be used to good advantage about the Cement Plant. (Around the Town News)
Tenders will be received by the undersigned for the re-roofing of the brick portion of the CPR Hotel, corner of Jones and Water Streets. For specifications, see William Huether, Building Inspector. Signed J.W. White, Clerk, Town of St. Marys.
Blanshard Council has purchased a new motor power maintenance grader from the Adams Road Machinery Co., at Paris. The machine will be operated by Road Superintendent A. Bickell of Kirkton.
100 years ago — 1913
Forty-eight Post Offices in Canada were closed last month on account of the free rural system of mail delivery. Two systems, of course, are not necessary, and abolition of post offices is part compensation for the expense of the rural deliveries.
The long-looked-for mail route commenced this week which will prove a great convenience to the farmers here. (Glendale, Blanshard)
Ballantyne, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Thompson, of Downie, narrowly escaped being drowned in the Avon River between Avonton and Avonbank, on Friday last. A number of the schoolchildren (S.S. No. 7) were down at the river watching the ice break up. Ballantyne was standing on a piece of ice when it gave way, and he fell into the river. Florence Murray, a little girl of about 12 years, jumped into the water and rescued the boy, or a second later he would have been caught by a fast current and drowned. The accident took place close to the edge but at this point the water was about three feet deep. Florence Murray was also assisted by the aid of others, she showed a great deal of heroism and should be rewarded by a life-saving medal from the Authorities.
A Word of Greeting: A change has taken place in the ownership of the Argus, beginning with the current issue, and the new proprietors and publishers desire to formally introduce themselves to the many readers and patrons of this paper. Stewart and Grose, Proprietors and Publisher, formerly R.H. Davey, Publisher.
125 years ago — 1888
The County of Perth is very proud of the new gaol, which is considered one of the finest in the province. It is heated by hot water pipes, contains 12 cells and two dark cells, all in the most approved pattern, and a well-equipped laundry and kitchen. (Globe)
To meet the wishes of their many lady customers, Lofft and Co. have erected a special building at the rear of their store for Millinery. Come and see the beautiful room provided for beautiful things. Don’t fail to be at Lofft and Co.’s Millinery Display.
Granton is going to have a Spring Fair after all, to be held in the early part of April. Mr. Wm. Middleton is around with a subscription list and already sufficient has been subscribed to assure its success.