Muriel Sheldon, Looking Back
25 years ago — 1988
“Swans in need of a caretaker”: Zella Metters wants a break and this means the town will have to find someone else to feed the swans. Mrs. Metters, whose home is opposite the swan pen on Station Street, has been feeding the big white birds since her husband died about a year ago. He had been feeding them, with corn being paid for by PARQ, for about 12-15 years. Mrs. Metters’ health isn’t that good at the moment and she doesn’t feel she can go on looking after them.
A petition containing 29 names and calling for Town Council “to protect Sunday as the traditional day for rest, worship and family activity” was filed for possible future reference after being presented to Town Council recently.
St. Marys PUC may no longer have to get billing services done in Stratford after a decision was made recently to invest $53,000 in a computer for the utility.
50 years ago — 1963
Donations for the Pipe Band uniforms have been rolling in at a steady rate for the past few weeks. The lads require a minimum of several thousand dollars to completely equip the band.
Town of St. Marys Sealed Tenders: For the construction of 2,000 feet of steel beam guardrails along Water Street in the Town of St. Marys. Plans and specifications and tender forms may be obtained at the office of R.M. Dawson, Consulting Engineer, in Stratford.
We See: THAT an article in the Toronto Daily Star was all about a Grade 1 class in Deer Park School taught by Mrs. Dorothy Adair. Mrs. Adair is the former Dorothy Chisholm, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Chisholm Sr., of St. Marys.
75 years ago — 1938
Work on the new Collegiate Institute addition is being speeded along these days and, very soon, the interior of the building will be completed and ready for the installation of the equipment.
Mr. Bob Mahaffy, of Oakville, has engaged for the summer with W.B. Rae. (Bethesda, Downie)
Mr. C.A. Vessey has made extensive alterations to his office and store on Wellington Street. Partitions have been torn out and the store enlarged so as to accommodate the electrical appliances and household equipment which he is handling; Mr. Vessey has moved his machinery parts stockroom to the rear of the building and has made other alterations to his building, including the leasing of more space to Mr. Colthurst of the St. Marys Egg Grading Station.
100 years ago — 1913
A petition, signed by over 60 residents, asked the Town Council to erect a footbridge over Trout Creek just over the GTR bridge on St. George Street for the convenience of those going back and forth from the North Ward to the various industries. Coun. Copeland thought it a rather extensive piece of work, but if it could possibly be arranged, he thought it should be done. Coun. Bartlett understood that the GTR had been complaining of the use of their bridge as a footbridge, and were refusing permission to cross. (from Town Council)
From the minutes of the Literary Society of the Collegiate Institute (Albert Berry, Secretary): Members of the Glee Club gave several selections. A quartet of Glee Club members consisted of Kate Queenan, Mabel Hedley, Arthur Haynes and Hugh Wilcox.
School report from S.S. No. 9, Downie: Sr. 4 — Mary Killoran, Lillian Houck; Jr. IV — Willie Balsdon, Michael Killoran, Lottie Acheson; Sr. 3 — Earl Richardson, Cora Richardson, Vida Anderson; Jr. 3 — Vera Richardson, Walter Murray, Isabelle Dunsmore; Sr. 2 — Helen Rae, Frank Teahen, Ernest Turner, John Vanstone, Reta Balsdon, Helen Anderson, Grace Richardson; Jr. 2 — Stanley Faulton, Myrtle Wivell, Roy Teahen, May Hart, Tom Teahen. Mildred Porter, teacher. (St. Pauls News)
The ice has been harvested and is of most excellent quality. The heavy teaming incidental to winter is completed and our people are making ready to welcome the coming of spring which, according to the almanac, is due shortly if dame nature is running on schedule. (Motherwell)
125 years ago — 1888
From Town Council: A petition was presented to Council signed by Mr. W.V. Hutton and 75 others asking for a bridge across the Thames River from Park Street to the west side of the river. The petition claimed that a bridge at that point would be a very great service to children attending the West Ward School, who now have to cross on Victoria Bridge, as well as for general traffic. The bridge would be a wooden one, and probably cost $2,000.