Muriel Sheldon, Looking Back
25 years ago — 1988
The PUC has decided to spend an estimated $5,000 to repair the Town’s historic water tower. The needed repairs include repairing a wooden platform at the top of the tower that supports the roof, replacing the three beams, and a “tower fall arresting device” to be added for the safety of the workers. The PUC is bound by a 1978 agreement with the Ontario Heritage Foundation to maintain the James Street structure, and the flag will still fly, says PUC Manager Jerry Fairbanks, although there will not be a flag temporarily until the structure is repaired.
Pictured in this week’s Journal Argus with a message of “G’day to y’all mates back home.” Sue McKay, Joanne Edye and Joyce Edye sent the photo from Ko á La, Australia. “Billy” the koala bear is pictured with the trio.
50 years ago — 1963
Considerable production equipment has recently been installed in the Thompson Confection Ltd. building, Water Street North. Three giant confection copper-lined kettles, and a gas-fired boiler to provide steam for the boilers.
The HIPC construction crew have been busy erecting the poles for the St. Marys Power Station on the highway and down the Dickey Line to where the substation is being built. The new poles are a much sturdier type and several feet higher than the old ones. (Uniondale)
We See: THAT a number of Collegiate students from the rural area spent Monday night with friends or relatives in town. Heavy drifting during the day, particularly west of St. Marys, made it impossible for the school buses to get them home.
Mrs. Ray Little presided and presented an outline of the projects planned for 1963 by the Graduate Nurses Association at their meeting held in the Board Room at the Hospital. (St. Marys)
75 years ago — 1938
John Barnett, son of Clerk Charles Barnett of Blanshard Township, who has been employed in the mines at Sudbury and Levack in Northern Ontario for the past year or more, is spending the winter at his home on the Mitchell Road. (News About Town)
From Town Council: On motion of White and Lind “That we accept the offer of the Diamond T. Truck Ltd. of $35 for the removal of stone in the old flax mill with the understanding that the ground be left in a clean and orderly condition. Carried. This mill was built in the 1850s and was last used as a flax mill by the McCready Company. The mill was burned down in 1912.
The new outdoor Skating Rink at the Central Public School has been in use for a couple of weeks. It is located in the boys’ playground on the east side of the school. The PUC is installing the lights, and goal nets for hockey have been provided. Mr. Charles White, the caretaker, is looking after the flooding of the rink.
This week’s Journal Argus announces the opening of R.H. Atkinson’s Funeral Home on Wellington Street South. After purchasing the home of James Tobin, Mr. Atkinson had certain changes made in the building — suitable for the purpose of his calling.
100 years ago — 1913
The bush on the Hollingshead farm has been sold and now a gang of men are cutting it down. One fine woods through the County will soon be a thing of the past. No more can we watch the unfolding leaf in the springtime, nor admire their gorgeous autumn dress. It’s a pity that our beautiful country is being despoiled of what makes up that beauty. (Prospect Hill)
J.P. Roger and Co. have bought a railcar of PEI potatoes, which are the best for eating they have had this season. (News of the Town)
The CPR turntable went out of commission on Friday, while a freight train was in it. The services of the Auxiliary were required to make repairs. The passenger engine had to back down to the Ingersoll Junction on Saturday. (News of the Town)
125 years ago — 1888
During December, the Dominion imported goods to the value of $6,759,000.
Uncle Tom’s Cabin is billed for St. Marys.
The frost last Saturday night has done considerable damage in the way of bursting pipes, etc. It created havoc in pipes at Carter’s Mill, Avonton Sawmill and Myers Woolen Mill. (Local and District)
Honour to St. Marys: At the Art Exhibition in London, Miss Mary Moscrip, of this town, was successful in carrying off the Silver Medal for her work of art. The subject is an interior view of a house in the West Ward. The picture was purchased by Mrs. Dr. Eccles of London.