Muriel Sheldon, Looking Back
25 years ago — 1987
Recently, the Nora Clench IODE sent two large boxes of donated articles from the Chapter as well as the community to North Spirit Lake School in northern Ontario. Each of the 53 pupils received a sewn or knitted school bag, a pair of hand-knitted mittens, toilet articles, a digital watch, and one article such as a skipping rope, games, puzzle books and candy.
The Schoelier family and their staff want to thank all of you for support you have given to their business, now known as Furtney Bakery. They now feel it is time to make a change and, shortly, will be changing the name to Little Falls Bakery, but the quality and natural ingredients in our bakery remain the same. (Henry and Yvonne Schoelier)
A booster pumping station to serve all St. Marys industries at a cost of approximately $100,000 on James Street South is contemplated.
50 years ago — 1962
Several of the women of the Uniondale Women’s Institute formed the choir at the Lakeside United Church last Sunday evening for the annual church service. (Uniondale)
Museum Notes: Recently, we had visitors come from Kitchener who brought a historical gift to the Museum. Miss Mabel Hedley, a former St. Marys resident, brought her sister and some friends and, at the same time, delivered a beautiful old silk shawl with a long silk fringe. This shawl had belonged to Laura Secord, one of our Canadian heroines of the War of 1812.
We See: THAT so far in 1962, the St. Marys BAnd has filled 17 engagements in town and 14 out of town. The band has two local playing dates before the end of the year, one being at the Santa Claus Parade.
Approximately 20 windows were broken in the Cadzow Park recreation building since last winter. Some of the Kinsmen Club members have been working for the past few Saturdays cleaning out the old hardened putty and putting in new glass so that heat loss will be reduced.
75 years ago — 1937
This week’s Journal Argus carries a view of the new storage building and four of the 11 new silos at the Cement Plant. The new building will double the capacity of the plant. The mechanical equipment will double the capacity of the plant. The mechanical equipment of the new building includes the latest type of conveyor and baggage. This year has been the second largest in the history of St. Marys Cement.
George Edwin Carr, a former resident of St. Marys who, for some years past, has been teaching school in Ingersoll, has purchased the former St. Marys Hardware building (the old J.C. Gilpin property) and will open a new hardware store there shortly.
The Journal is indebted to Mrs. D. Ross, Church Street South, for a list of picnics and family gatherings held at Cadzow Park during this past summer. Between June 19 and Aug. 14, there were 26 gatherings.
100 years ago — 1912
The directors of the Avonbank Cheese and Butter Co. are having a new stable and shed erected on their land at the factory. The shed, to be 80 feet long, is designed to hold all the company’s wagons in the winter and give room for repairing and painting if needed. (Avonbank)
Work on the new Roman Catholic school is progressing rapidly, and it is expected the building will be ready for occupancy by the first of the New Year.
The Thorndale Telephone Co. has extended the line as far as Geo. Lindsay’s place. Now we have rural mail and rural telephone, we think we are right up to date. (Cherry Grove)
Dr. Marion Oliver, who has been taking another course of treatment at the Springs, Preston, has returned home and is feeling much improved in health. (Avonbank)
125 years ago — 1887
Anniversary services will be held in the Baptist Church, St. Marys, on Dec. 18 and a Tea Meeting will take place on the following Tuesday evening, at which Rev. A. Grant, superintendent of Home Missions, will deliver an address.
Advertisement: T.F. Harrison, Undertaker and Embalmer, Eaton’s Old Stand, Queen Street East. Only White House in Town.
Parents should be careful not to let their children go skating until the ice becomes sufficiently strong to be safe. One cold bath has been taken by one young man, who broke through the ice.
The lamp at the east end of Victoria Bridge, in front of A. Baird’s Grocery Store, was blown down during the storm on Saturday night last.