Muriel Sheldon, Looking Back
25 years ago — 1987
The 120-foot Maxwell Water Tower, which provided fire protection for the Maxwell plant since the 1940s, was pulled down recently. The tower’s 46,000-gallon tank served the town for about six months in the late 1970s when repairs were being carried out on the Water Tower at Queen and James Streets.
We See: THAT the PUC hooked up water and sanitary services at the Opera House.
It seems like an ideal situation when a student can attend high school while, at the same time, gaining experience with an outside job. Some DCVI students have grabbed this opportunity and have become part of the school’s Co-operative Education program.
50 years ago — 1962
Emily Street: The Dr. Hackney family has moved into their new home from the former Archie Willard home, further down the street.
We continue to compliment Mr. and Mrs. Roy Shrubsole on the improvements they have been making to the Royal Edward Hotel.
An Open House will be held at the new Chiropractor Office of Dr. McIntosh at the corner of Queen and King Streets.
From Blanshard Council: A bylaw to limit the weight of vehicles crossing the Glengowan and Fish Creek bridges was passed and sent to the Department for approval.
Federal and Provincial government approval of the Canada Machinery Corporation of Galt for the construction of the central gates for Wildwood Dam, near St. Marys, has been announced. Amount of the tender is $104,910.
Among the nominations for 1963 Mayor of St. Marys put forward are James S. Timms, the present Mayor, and Mrs. Helen Wilson.
Some time ago, it was reported in the Journal Argus that work was progressing on the addition to the Marriott Funeral Home. The new addition will be located on the northeast corner of the present building. Murray Mitchell is the contactor.
75 years ago — 1937
The Uniondale Cheese and Butter Company, after some delay, has been sold to the Kraft Cheese Company. (Uniondale)
Mrs. J.S. Somerville, Peel Street South, has sold her 150-acre farm on Concession 8, Blanshard, to Mr. George Kemp of Kirkton.
One of the busiest, and the most dangerous, spots in town for pedestrians is at the Victoria Bridge. Nearly all going and coming from the West Ward cross at this point on the highway to get to the foot walk, which is on the north side of the bridge. If they are going to the Post Office (Water Street), they have to cross it twice. The pedestrians include not only scores of people on their way to work, but many schoolchildren, many of them very small.
100 years ago — 1912
Property for Sale: Consisting of about nine acres of garden soil, just outside the town limits on Water Street South. Good building and lots of water. Apply to J.B. White, St. Marys P.O., for terms and particulars.
The pupils of S.S. No. 1, East Nissouri, had a holiday last Friday. Their teacher, Miss Swallwell, having been to her home in Bothwell, attending her parents’ Silver Wedding Anniversary. (Pasadena)
It’s a fact, from the youngest to the oldest and your friend besides, can use and enjoy it. Come see the Heintzman Player Pianos at W.H. Tovell Music Store.
125 years ago — 1887
Have you had your annual stovepipe wrestle?
Wanted: A smart, intelligent boy about 15 years of age to learn the printing business. Apply immediately to the Argus office.
Mr. Charles Rounds has returned home from the North West, where he had been helping to build the Round House on the Canadian Pacific Railway. The high wages he received goes to show that he was exceedingly well-liked, as a mason and bricklayer. (Lakeside)
Advertisement: We are making some big drives in Crockery. Our stock is large and prices away down. Tea Sets (English) only $2.25. Visit R. Eaton and Co., St. Marys.
The Road and Bridge Committee has done a good job of placing steps up the hill at Elgin Street and Church Street. It is hard work climbing up a hill at best.