Muriel Sheldon, Looking Back
25 years ago — 1987
STOP signs mean STOP: Some motorists are not stopping as they should when signalled by school crossing guards, and guards have been instructed to report offenders to police.
We See: THAT construction of the Rotary Parkview Apartments are well underway. A large crane came on site this week.
Several residents from this community were at the Stratford Coliseum for the kick-off celebration of the International Plowing Match, to be held in Perth County in 1988. (Motherwell)
50 years ago — 1962
An agreement between Ontario Department of Highways and the Upper Thames River Conservation Authority is ready for government approval and signing in connection with the $2-million Wildwood Dam, east of St. Marys. The agreement permits highway departments to use the top of a dam as a roadway on the No. 7 highway division, Plan 10, to the south of St. Marys.
FYI: The Village of Thamesford was first known as St. Andrews.
We See: THAT a historical plaque is to be erected in Kirkton for the late Timothy Eaton.
The Rambling Reporter’s Round Up: Slowly but surely our town is being equipped with new street lighting — and it certainly makes a difference in appearance and utility.
No. 19 Highway shoulders have been gravelled from the CPR crossing at Uniondale to No. 7 Highway. The HEPC work gang were busy stringing cables on the new line built from the Highway yard to the village on No. 19 Highway. The CPR sectionmen have erected the snow fence along certain sections of tracks. The snow fences have been put up on the rural roads and Highways. (Uniondale)
75 years ago — 1937
At the regular monthly meeting of the St. Marys Women’s Institute, Dr. C.A. Campbell, of Kirkton, was guest speaker and gave the ladies many useful ideas on horticulture. He suggested that one should buy good standard types of plants; among those especially mentioned were crocuses, daffodils, iris, peonies and roses. President, Mrs. Lee Grose, presided and Miss N. Fairbairn read the minutes of the last meeting.
A recent Journal Argus contained two letters of thanks for vegetables and fruit sent to Saskatchewan by the people of St. Marys and area. “You will realize what the conditions are like in Sask., when I say that about half the province is in need of relief, or 450,000 people. 60,000 horses have been either sold or sent to more happy parts for feed, and thousands of cattle also. Some parts of the province have been in a serious condition of drought for the last 10 years.
100 years ago — 1912
People of St. Marys may consider themselves very fortunate in having such important industries in their midst as the St. Marys Portland Cement Company, Maxwell Works, St. Marys Wood Specialty Co., the National Pin Factory, Baird’s Box Factory, the Artificial Stone Works, and other establishments of lesser magnitude.
Apples are very plentiful here. On an average, there are about two railway cars a day loaded by the CPR for Northwest points. (Lakeside)
Mrs. A. Fuller is assisting in nursing her grandson, Sheldon, who has been seriously ill with Diptheria. (Woodham)
An organizational meeting of the St. Marys Hockey Club will likely be held shortly to get everything in readiness for the season.
125 years ago — 1887
A heavy windstorm swept over Mitchell Sunday night, demolishing a large opera house in course of erection. The walls were blown down on a small frame house owned by Mr. E. Green and family. Mr. Green and a female servant were instantly killed, his wife escaping with a few bruises.
Efforts are being made for the establishment of a High School, and one “somewhere near London,” for the pupils of East Middlesex, who are labouring under the great disadvantage of having to go out of the riding to attend an institution of this character. Inspector Dearness said there are over 100 pupils attending high school and many ore whose parents cannot afford to send them away.
The engine wharf on Trout Creek, foot of Peel, has been christened “Stanley’s Wharf.” Mr. T.D. acknowledges the compliment in a few pleasant remarks.
Still They Go: Malcolm McKenzie, Mitchell Road, Fullarton, left a week ago for Manitoba, intending to settle on a prairie farm. (Motherwell)
Mr. J.D. Moore was in Toronto last week, at a meeting of the Canadian Miller Association