Muriel Sheldon, Looking Back
25 years ago — 1987
Several replacement workers have been moving mail at the St. Marys Post Office this past week, following action by regular workers here. The main issue in the strike is job security, as postal workers fear jobs will be lost through Canada Post’s plan to farm out certain postal services.
The Upper Thames River Conservation Authority has a long list of Rural Properties For Sale in this week’s Journal Argus — including buildings and acreage in the Townships of Blanshard, Fullarton and Downie.
Rev. Rick Horst, in an interview with the Journal Argus, relates how he had served in three inner-city churches in Toronto in a team arrangement. Minister at St. Marys Presbyterian Church since March, Rev. Horst has developed an interest in making the church more accessible to the disabled and is confident that something will be done.
50 years ago — 1962
Mr. James P. Levy, east of town, leaves shortly on the Rox Jewell, conducted tour of Europe, England and Scotland. (News of Town and District)
CNR locomotive 6167 passed through St. Marys twice on Sunday last. The famous engine, last active steam locomotive on the CNR, was pulling 12 cars carrying a load of about 600 happy passengers, most of them from the Detroit area, members of the Michigan Railway Fan Club. The trip started in Sarnia on Sunday a.m., went through St. Marys Junction on the way to Stratford around 2 p.m., and returned through the St. Marys Junction and Town station about 6 p.m.
Maxwell Ltd. company manager John Elliott, in speaking to the Journal Argus, reported that he had just returned from the Marine Trade Show in Chicago, where the Maxwell-made “Marine Outboard Motor” had been enthusiastically received.
Eight babies were born at St. Marys Memorial Hospital this past week.
75 years ago — 1937
For some weeks now, the following six stores have closed each Wednesday afternoon at 12:30 p.m., and will continue to do so year-round, except in December and in weeks when a public holiday occurs. The six are Whyte Packing Co., Frank Twist, Gregory’s, Paul’s, Jack’s and F. McKnight.
For Sale: Real estate in the village of Avonton, about two acres of land with a good brick house, frame barn and cement building suitable for a blacksmith shop or garage. The property is on a good road, close to a school and church. Apply to Agnes Davidson Estate.
A fine new barn has been completed on the farm of Mr. Gershon Harlton to take the place of one recently destroyed by fire. (Metropolitan)
According to statistics, there were 514,211 passenger cars and 70,693 trucks operating in Ontario in 1936. Of these, two were steam-driven, three were electric and the rest were gasoline or diesel driven. There were 6,157 in Perth and 2,556 in Stratford.
100 years ago — 1912
Wanted: General servant by Mrs. C.S. Rumsey. Good wages to capable help. Apply to F.W. Hutton.
The rural mail route south of Thorndale has been let, and a large number are taking advantage of it. (Thorndale)
Mr. John S. Murray is having a well drilled beside the engine house. At present, he obtains his water supply from the river but this system is put out of commission during the winter. (Motherwell)
Miss Jean Stewart, of Lions Head, who has been visiting at the home of MRs. W. Mountain and other friends since early summer, returned home this week. She will be greatly missed by the young people of our neighbourhood. (Avonbank)
The people here are anxiously awaiting the introduction of the Rural Mail delivery. This will bring the much-desired Daily Mail, which this place should have had 30 years ago. (Wellburn)
Results of the “Exhibition Bigger Than Ever: Ideal Weather and Large Attendance at Kirkton Fair” took up almost an entire page of this week’s St. Marys Argus. President Richard Paynter, 1st Vice Wm. Atkinson, 2nd Vice A. Brethour. (Kirkton)
The St. Marys Portland Cement Co. has introduced a new system in stone quarrying, whereby it will reduce the cost of quarrying by 75 per cent. At one blast they will, by this system, displace 3,000 tons of limestone rock. (News of the Week)