Muriel Sheldon, Looking Back
25 years ago — 1987
A group of Cherry Grove residents gathered together recently to watch and help the Township road crew erect new road signs near their homes. Cherry Grove is a small community which dates back to the early 1800s, located at the intersection of Con. 3 and the Wellburn Sideroad. The original log school, one of the first in the township, was built prior to 1830. Over the years, there was a sawmill, a blacksmith’s shop, a general store, a church, and a post office. At one time, there was hope of an electric railway being built along Con. 3 through the hamlet from London to Granton. This is the first that there has been a proper sign on the road.
50 years ago — 1962
The unveiling of a cairn, erected by the descendants, in memory of John Switzer and his wife, Agnes Corneille, who with five sons and two daughters came as pioneer settlers in Blanshard Township from the County of Limerick, Ireland, in April, 1843, was held recently. The cairn is located at the corner of the Mitchell Road and 4th Line, Blanshard, and is located on the original homestead. Mr. Chas. Stephens of Elimville was the craftsman who built the cairn. It was noted that the gravestone of John Switzer and his wife was placed in the rear of the cairn.
Mr. Maurice Oliver has purchased the brick residence in the East Ward from Mr. Harry Harvey. (News of the Week)
Sealed tenders will be received by the Secretary-Treasurer of the Upper Thames River Conservation Authority (UTRCA) for a new dam on the North Branch of the Thames River approximately 400 feet upstream of No. 8 Highway in the Town of Mitchell.
The Salvation Army Home League opened their new kitchen and Home League room, which will also be used for a Sunday Primary class.
75 years ago — 1937
Six members of the Dominion Bridge Company have been working for more than a week, erecting the steel framework of the new three-storey warehouse which will house the new bagging machinery alongside the big silos at the St. Marys Cement plant.
Successful at the recent examinations of the Medical Council of Canada were A.S. “Bert” Brown, M.D., of Motherwell, and J.M. Jack Graham, M.D. of St. Marys. There were 353 candidates in all. (Newsy Happenings)
The closing of schools for the summer holidays is the signal for the Parks Board to open the pool in Cadzow Park. And that’s what they did on Tuesday. The day was almost icy cold for those wearing bathing suits, but caretaker Bob McIntyre heated the water well and, by early afternoon, there were over 50 swimmers splashing water sky-high with not a care about the cold air.
The men of the community have been busy during the past week putting new siding of asphalt shingles on, and other necessary repairs, to the Sunday School building. (Bethesda, Downie)
100 years ago — 1912
The farmers of the district are concerned about the slowness of the growth of the grain crop, which is much shorter than usual at this season of the year. In many localities, the heavy rains have caused the formation of a clay-like crust which impedes the growth of the grain. Strawberries are very much behind owing to the lack of sunshine. A poor apple crop is also prognosticated — worse luck.
The people of school section No. 5 Downie enjoyed a picnic recently, organized by Miss Fuller, the teacher, in the woods of Mr. Robert Gibb’s farm. The afternoon was filled with the excitement of the children’s races and, after the array of edibles, the night was filled with “Music and Dance.”
125 years ago — 1887
The June meeting of Perth County Council was opened in the new Court House in Stratford on Tuesday last. The Jubilee and the new building were the topic of general conversation among the members for the first couple of days.
The GTR are laying down a switch from the Town Station to Park Street, some blocks south of the station. This is for the convenience of the stone men, who, when Park Street is opened out to the railway, will have a much shorter distance to team the stone. This will be quite a saving to the quarrymen in the course of a year’s business.
Lovers of music should not forget the Philharmonic Society’s concert in the Opera House on Tuesday evening next. The programme is a good one, and embraces solos, duets, quadrilles and full choruses with organ accompaniment. The choruses will be made up of nearly 100 voices and the orchestra of about a dozen instruments. The plan of the Opera House is now open at Mr. Andrew’s Jewellery store, where tickets may be reserved.