LOOKING BACK - Dec. 12, 2007
|
Bookmark and Share
Dec 12, 2007  |  Vote 0    0

LOOKING BACK - Dec. 12, 2007

St. Marys Journal Argus

Ten years ago -- 1997Bradshaws of Stratford were advertising "As a tribute to Diana, Princess of Wales, 1961-1997, a limited edition of Stuart Crystal. This is the only Commemorative item to have received the approval of the Princess of Wales Memorial Fund and half of the Stuart Crystal's proceeds will be donated tothat fund."The Salvation Army Christmas kettles have been out on the street for over a week kicking off the food bank's annual Christmas draw. The kettles, which traditionally bring in about $15,000 or each Christmas season, are placed at National Trust, downtown: Staffen's Food Market and the new Canadian Tire Store.We See: That the St. Marys Horticulture Society honoured piano player George Harris at it's Christmas meeting. George has been playing the piano at Society events for many years. The plaque says, "We miss you."25 years ago -- 1982Workers at the local Ministry of Transportation and Communication were gearing up for the new computer equipment. Gwen McLelland and staff Rev. Keith Fox and Lil Marziali, who works part-time at the office are pictured in this week's Journal-Argus. Vehicle owners must purchase licence stickersfor 1983 by Feb. 28, but the system is being changed so that renewalstickers will be purchased by vehicle owners on their birthday each year.Former resident Norman Chesterfield has applied to the Guinness Book ofRecords as the leading bird lister in the world. As of January 1982, Mr.Chesterfield has viewed 5,556 of the 8,800 species of birds in the world. Hebelieves he may now be the only person to have seen members of all the 109bird families in the Western Hemisphere.50 years ago -- 1957We See - That a large Fairchild type troop-carrying aircraft circled severaltimes over the town at 4:45 Wednesday during the blizzard, apparently toenable the pilot to check his bearings.That some ninety years ago when St. Marys was an important junction pointfor the Grand Trunk system, there were a total of about twenty dwellings inthe vicinity of the Junction Station. The number has dwindled to six at thepresent time, but the tide is turning. With the start of a new house by Wm.Birtch, in that vicinity the number will be raised to seven.Twenty members of the local Bell Telephone staff enjoyed a Christmas partyin their office.Two winners of the West Nissouri schools public speaking contest gave theirtalks at the Women's Institute meeting held in the school. Moira Benny spokeon "The Maple" and Kenny Parson, "Antartica". The children were thanked fortheir excellent address by Mrs. Alton Baynes.75 years ago -- 1932The annual meeting of the Sunday School was held recently. Mr. Somers wasagain elected as Superintendent, most of last year's teachers and officersfilling their former positions. (Glengowan)Fifty years ago on December 7, 1882, definite plans were formulated for theestablishment of St. Marys' first telephone exchange. H. Fred Sharp was St.Marys first "Agent" for the Bell Company and had charge of the telephones"Central Office" on Queen Street. That was in 1885 and the small,pocket-size telephone directory of that year contained reference to eighttelephones, one residence and seven business, indicates those in use here.The telephone directory of 1891 revels the growth and development of servicein St. Marys during the intervening years. At that time the Central Officehad been moved to "Carter's New Block" and was under the management of J.Leary. There were then 42 subscribers.100 years ago -- 1907Mr. Fred Dickie has rented his farm just east of the town, in Blanshard, toMr. Michael Ballantyne Jr. (News About Town)Messrs. Brown and Anderson have completed the cement foundation for theBlanshard Township shed and Messrs. Cameron and Highet are building a shedbeside the Township Hall which will be a great convenience to the public.To Rent-After January 1st, 1908 the Livery Barn facing the market. This barnis well fitted for livery or horse sale purposes, is warm, comfortable anddry, with comfortable office and water on the premises. Apply to theProprietor, R. Dickson.Notice - Woolen Mills! We have a full line of our reliable Knitting Yarns onhand, also Bed and Horse Blankets and Heavy Twilled Sheeting, Tweeds, theCanadian Freeze for Boys Overcoats. S. Myers and Sons.Miss Sarah Meighen, daughter of Mr. Joseph Meighen, St. Marys, is with T.Eaton & Co., firm on Portage Ave., Winnipeg.William Meighen, son of Mr. Joseph Meighen, is a resident of Prince Albertin which city and district he holds large interests, having been asuccessful real estate dealer during the recent rapid growth and developmentof that part of the West."Ed" Meighen of Edmonton is a brother of William of Prince Albert and ofArthur, Barrister of Portage La Prairie. During the boom in that city, hewas in the real estate business and handled a large amount of property. Heis now with the firm of Sevift & Co.of Chicago, who a year ago, bought outthe J.Y. Griffin &. Co.'s firms throughout the West. The Sevift people arebuilding an immense packing factory in Edmonton. (From a column about St.Marys boys and girls)

|
Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

Latest Local News

Community

Local woman celebrates 100th birthday

HARRISTON – Every birthday is certainly worth celebrating, but when the milestone is No. 100, you...

Snapshot

In Your Neighbourhood Today

SPONSORED CONTENT View More