10 Years Ago
We See: That the Perth County Board of Education recognized employees who have served with the board for 25 years with a reception at the Education Centre in Stratford. Honoured from the St. Marys area were Roy Perovich and Bruce Hunter from St. Marys DCVI, Ronald Aitken, principal of Downie Central Public School and Fred Anderson, principal of South Perth Centennial.
The second phase of the St. Marys Rotary Club's non-profit senior housing development is under construction. The first four units of the 32-unit development are under construction and should be ready for occupancy by June 30.
25 Years Ago - 1981
From Blanshard Township Council - The Township Roads Dept. concluded arrangements with the St. Marys Cement Co., to build up a low-lying area on the River Road on the north side of the Thames River. The area is subject to flooding and road washouts and the road build up would be to hold the river in its course and prevent flooding.
About ten days after the destruction at the Thorndale Library, the West Nissouri Public Library staff was surprised to get a call from Jack Kapica of the editorial department of the Globe and Mail's book department. Hundreds of new books are sent to this department each year for review. After they have been reviewed or examined, they are passed on to some needy library. When the newspaper saw the TV coverage of West Nissouri's problem, the book department decided its current stock of books could be used there. A total of 232 new books has now been added to Middlesex Library collection thanks to the friendly concern of The Globe and Mail.
50 Years Ago - 1956
Things are happening on the property of Mrs. G. D. L. Rice, Ontario Street, West Ward where two volunteer members of the Hostetler's Association of Toronto are building a new hostel dormitory and club house to take the place of the one destroyed by fire some months ago. Mrs. Rice is giving the land and other facilities and the St. Marys Lions Club is providing the money for lumber. The new building is 32 feet square and will have six sleeping compartments accommodating 24 beds; a kitchen and a common room. It will be some time before it is completed together with fireplace and furnishings.
Seven sections of the new kiln for the St. Marys Cement Company plant arrived at the CPR yards here heralding the time when this new unit, the fourth so far, be put in place this past ten years.
75 Years Ago - 1931
The Horticultural Society's annual canvas for members is on. The Society had a big increase in membership last year and is hoping to make further substantial gains this year. The Society is doing good work and deserves the support of every citizen who take an interest in the beautification of St. Marys. (Editorial)
Five new names were added to the roll of SS No. 10, Salem, Blanshard, after the Easter holiday: Edith Fletcher, Jean Denham, Roger Urquhart, Raymond Paynter and Billy Bragg.
The 112th Year of Oddfellows Order was fittingly celebrated, in St. Marys by Brother of District No. 13, and there was a good turnout of Lodge members. A short historical sketch of the Early Days of Oddfellowship in the Town of St. Marys was prepared and given at the gathering.
Although the history of Oddfellowship in Canada goes back 112 years it was not until Nov. 6, 1856 that the order became established in St. Marys. In that year due to the activities of the district, citizens of the Town were interested in the formation of a lodge here. As the number '36' indicates, this lodge is some years older than those in Stratford, Mitchell or several others nearby centres. The first lodgerooms were established in the frame building now owned by S. J. Dunseith and Son as a coal office, and as the membership increased by leaps and bounds it was only a matter of a few years until there were nearly 200 on the roll and as a consequence a second lodge known as Victor Lodge, was formed and carried on for many years.
In 1879 the Oddfellows of St. Marys were in a very strong financial position and it was decided that the old lodge rooms should be sold and a new and imposing structure build on Water Street to be known as the Opera House. The next year saw the building completed by the framing contractor Craig and Hamilton and the stonework contractor John Elliott. The building cost $21,000 and due to the locations and the heavy interest charges the Opera House with stores and offices underneath it never really proved a paying proposition and after some years it was finally sold to the Carter Milling Co., which firm then under the direction of Mr. H. L. Rice converted it into the splendid flour mill it is today. Two years after the Opera House was completed Victor Lodge was amalgamated with the sister lodge No. 36.
100 Years Ago - 1906
There is no immediate promise of the CPR coming to St. Marys.
NOTICE - Bottled Milk - We have become convinced that the system of bottling all milk on premises will give better satisfaction that the old method of delivering in cans. Accordingly we have introduced the bottling system. Dr. Gibb, the local inspector says - the bottling system is undoubtedly the best. It is clean and keeps the milk more free from germs.
Mr. W. H. Dykes, wife and child left last week for their future home in the West. Mr. Dykes Sr., who is now alone, will remain in Ontario until he has disposed of his property and settled his business to his satisfaction. (Prospect Hill)