25 Years Ago - 1981
One of the most popular places in town for tobogganing is the slope overlooking the golf course. Numerous tobogganers and a few skiers made good use of the snow over the holiday period.
Invitation To Tender - Sealed tenders for Project No. 025424 - Handicapped Access, Federal Building, St. Marys, Ont. Tenders will be received until 1500 hours on February 4, 1981. Tender documents can be seen or obtained through the Tendering Office, 457 Richmond Street, London, Ont.
From The Rambling Reporter - Looking around our beautiful snowy countryside one day last week we found our little blue machine on the way up Junction Road to Forman Tank and Welding Ltd., and were greeted there by the hard-working office staff, namely Elsie Batch, Bill Laing and Howie Pratt. On the way back we could not help but admire the attractive mink ranch property of Jim Rankin, and farther along near James St., that these places are very substantial looking. Truly a real asset to our community and these examples of a thriving industry such as there is in very few other places in Canada.
50 Years Ago
Quarrying operations are taking place right in the centre of St. Marys. Contractors have now taken about a thousand yards of solid rock from the site of the new Federal building, which is going up on the northeast corner of Wellington and Jones Streets. Using dynamite in small quantities to blast the bedrock after drilling with an air hammer, the resultant rubble is loaded by a backhoe shovel and the rock is being dumped to widen roadways along the Trout Creek area.
We See: That motor license plates issuer C.A. Vessey has been very busy issuing the new Ontario car markers and renewing the driver's licenses of district citizens. A steady stream of applicants have been handled each day.
That Mrs. Allan Rush commenced her duties as executive secretary of the Canadian Cancer Society's London and Middlesex Unit. Mrs. Rush will be in charge of the Little Red Door, the society's headquarters on Horton St., London. Mrs. Rush was the former Emily Hill of St. Marys.
The St. Marys District Museum Committee is very pleased at some of the fine historical items that are being donated as display material for the museum. Miss Mae Arbuckle of London, donated a fine hand-carved "whatnot" made by her father. Now the committee would like some historic pieces of china or bric-a-brac to place on the shelves of this attractive piece of furniture. Another recent acquisition to the museum is a beautifully preserved organ, more than 100 years old, the gift of Mrs. Wm. Easson of Stratford. This organ is the instrument used in the original Methodist Church in St. Marys and is still in working condition.
Good progress is being made in the renovations and reconstruction of Motherwell United Church. The ceiling of the church is being lowed by nine and one-half feet, and will be finished with decorative tile squares and beams of British Columbia fir. The new chancel planned includes the two fine original windows at the front of the sanctuary, while providing space for two additional Sunday School class rooms, one on either side. The lighting system is to be updated. the congregation was encouraged to undertake these improvements through a bequest from the estate of Mrs. Charles Baird.
75 Years Ago
The annual ice harvest on Trout Creek is underway and some thirty men gathered on the ice and commenced the cutting and floating of 150 pound blocks onto the elevating apparatus, which heaves them into the spacious interior of the large frame icehouse on the south bank of the Creek where there is room for some 1050 cords of the ice. For years Wm. Richards has conducted this harvest, and it is seldom that he fails of a good crop for old Jack Frost is an efficient worker and sees to it that sufficient water is congealed to at least provide the inhabitants of the land with the wherewithall for a cooling drink in the summer days. The storing of this huge quantity of ice takes a lot of energy and a lot of handling is put into each cake before it takes its place in the solid pile that is contained within the building. The only requisite needed to preserve the ice through the summer is a liberal covering of swamp grass cut from the meadows along the winding course of the Creek. It is surprising how little of the ice melts away even on the hottest day in summer.
100 Years ago
In the skating race next Thursday night the event of the night will be the one-mile town championship. Dunseith, the town champion, will be opposed by Striker, Baird and the two new men who have not before been seen on local ice. This race, in connection with the carnival will be well worth patronizing.
At the Blanshard and Nissouri Cheese & Butter Co.'s annual meeting the election of officers for 1906 resulted in the election of these directors: James Davis, Denzil Facey, Thomas Richardson, William Hall and Fergus McMaster. A warm discussion took place as to whether the patrons should get the milk to the factory in the best way they could or whether the old method of drawing by contract be adopted. It was finally decided to adapt the latter method.
The Independent Order of the United Sons of Rest are in annual session in our village. A goodly delegation is in attendance. (Wellburn)
Mr. W. Forsyth and daughter Ella of Carow, Man., arrived here a few days ago for a two month visit with friends and former associates in the neighbourhood. It is six years since Mr. Forsyth and family went west and located at Carow, which at that time, consisted of only a few huts. The place has grown rapidly and is now a considerable town, containing many valuable buildings and various kinds of industries. Three large elevators are situated here and form a great market for farmers within a radius of from ten to sixteen miles. Mr. Forsyth buys again for one of the companies, while his boys work the farm, which is situated a short distance from the town, and Mrs. Forsyth and daughters, run a restaurant on a large scale. Success has attended their efforts. (Prospect Hill).
125 Years Ago - 1881
Downie - The first annual meeting of the patrons and shareholders of the Avonbank Cheese Manufacturing Company was held a few days ago. The President, Mr. Thomas Steele, read and explained a very satisfactory statement of the company's business during the past year. The following were elected a board of directors for 1881, Messrs. Thomas Steele, Wm. Rodger, Wm. Rae, Charles Baird and John Anderson.
Mr. J. D. Moore has now seven hundred tons of ice harvested.