25 years ago — 1989
Accounts have been established at all five banking institutions in St. Marys to accept donations for the restoration of the St. Marys Presbyterian Church, which was badly damaged by a falling chimney last Nov. 20. Jim Roger Construction of Kirkton and St. Marys is handling the $205,000 repair project.
We See: THAT Town Council, at their recent meeting, passed a motion calling on the federal government not to cut spending on VIA Rail, at least until a long-term study is completed. “I’d hate to be one of the only countries without a national rail line,” commented one member of Council.
A Site Plan Agreement setting out details for sewage services, landscaping, property maintenance, construction of a section of sidewalk, and other aspects of the Stonetown Co-operative Homes development on Queen Street East have been approved by Town Council.
50 years ago — 1964
The road from the Cemetery Corner into Granton is being graded and posts and fences erected, and Glendale users will be glad to see it completed in the near future. When the work is finished, it will be a paved road. (Glendale)
Editorial: One of the most enjoyable vistas in St. Marys is the view up the Thames River from Victoria Bridge, and one of the reasons for the scene is the old mill dam and the lake it forms behind it. Also, this lake covers what otherwise would be a rocky riverbed. The dam, built in the years following the turn of the century (1800), has required surprisingly little repairing but, lately, time has been taking its toll.
75 years ago — 1939
St. Marys Town Council has chosen John W. Durr to be the new Town Clerk and Treasurer, succeeding the late J.W. White, whose death occurred three weeks ago. Mr. Durr has been collector of taxes for several years.
A picture in this week’s Journal Argus shows log-loading operations in progress on the farm of William Atkinson near Glengowan. The longest log in the picture is 53 feet from top to bottom. Such long rock elm timbers are becoming very scarce in this district. Twelve other such logs were loaded on at the Zurbrigg farm. There was a day back 60 or 70 years ago when some of the finest, longest and straightest oak and rock elm for ship spars and timbers were cut in the forests about this town and shipped via the early railway lines to the ports of Montreal and Quebec for export to European shipyards.
100 years ago — 1914
Through the exertion of Mr. Trow, the Postmaster-General has ordered the opening of a Post Office at Metropolitan Corners in Blanshard Township. William Spence is Postmaster. (Stratford Beacon-Herald)
O’Brien Bros., recently sold a five-passenger Ford Touring Car to Mr. Gilbert Gregory of the 10th Line, East Nissouri. This is the finest car to be sold t a resident of the 10th Concession.
The trustees have secured Miss Donald, of St. Marys, as teacher this term. (Medina)
The new road on the west side of the Thames River, between Motherwell and Trafalgar, is not yet opened up for public traffic. (Motherwell)
NOTICE: All parties desiring sidewalks built this year will kindly call at the Clerk’s Office and obtain blank petitions for same. (T.M. Clark, Clerk)