25 years ago — 1989
For the third straight year, the St. Marys Journal Argus has been judged winner in the circulation class in the general excellence category among community newspapers in Ontario.
A salute to “Women in Business” and a brief account of their business was featured in this week’s Journal Argus. We have catering, sales clerks, Body Fit instructors, beauty salon workers, activity directors and the list goes on.
The topic of the Lakeside Women’s Institute was “Waste Management,” and the motto, taken by Ruth Skillings, was “What we re-use and reduce saves more resources for our grandchildren.”
50 years ago —1964
The modern new St. Marys Branch Office of British Mortgage and Trust was officially opened recently. The golden ribbon on the large glass doors was cut by William J. Mills, a prominent resident of St. Marys since 1892.
We See: THAT a wandering spaniel dog picked up on the Collegiate grounds by the Central Office has been returned to his Sebringville home. The dog carried a North Easthope tag and had been missing since last November.
More than 300 persons turned out for a banquet at the Victorian Inn, Stratford, to honour Herbert Sparling and present him with a Grand Senior Warden’s regalia in recognition of his election to the Board of General Purpose of the Masonic Grand Lodge of Ontario, AF and AM.
PET PRODUCTS: We recently acquired a complete line of pet products, including Hertz Mountain Budgie and Canary feed; assorted variety of wild bird seed; dog food; kitty litter; dog and cat dishes; dog collars and leashes. For further information, inquire at Great Star Flour Mills Ltd.
75 years ago — 1939
Work was commenced last week by W.J. Stafford and his assistant in the tearing down of the interior archworks and vault of the old South Perth Registry Office building on Queen Street, West Ward. The building has been standing vacant since the South Perth office was merged with the North Perth Registrative Files in Stratford three years ago. The property was recently sold by the County of Perth to the St. Marys Gospel Mission to be used as a place of meeting. The Registry Office was built more than half a century ago, and was fireproofed throughout. The interior was divided into three arched vaults, with walls and arches of three-brick thickness, and solidly bound by mortar, which is as tough and strong today as when it first hardened. It will be some weeks before the interior of the new place of worship is ready for occupation.
The multi-ton trucks which are wont to run through downtown St. Marys at high speed had nothing on a local bread-wagon driver, whose horse got out of control near the Town Hall and ran for all its worth as far as the old Registry Office, corner of Queen Street and Robinson Street. The galloping steed, dragging is wagon, had all the speed of the motor transport plus plenty of “swing and sway.” After the run through the midtown, the climb up the hill seemed too great for the steed and it yielded to the will of its master, Jim Wilson.
100 years ago — 1914
The new Township Council, like the proverbial new broom, has begun to get busy. After the recent near tornado, the council met in Motherwell, footed it over the surveyed right of the proposed new roadway from Motherwell to Trafalgar. Their conclusions are not made known but will be discussed at the next meeting of Council. (Motherwell)
Miss Ella Tomlinson was taken by surprise by the people of McKim’s Church, and was presented with a beautiful broach for her being organist the past couple of years. (Wildwood)
Mr. John Somerville of the 8th Concession of Blanshard, and Mr. R.H. Cunningham of St. Marys, have purchased from O’Brien Bros., 1914 passenger Ford Touring Cars.
Mr. J. Lockie Wilson, speaking at Stratford, expressed regret that the rural mail delivery had destroyed one of the best social features of country life, the “going for the mail.” (News of the Town and District)
The Berryland skating rink was opened on Monday evening and a large attendance of skaters and onlookers were present. (Berryland, Blanshard)
And from our Lakeside correspondent: About 200 onlookers attended the Carnival on Friday evening. What with very fine weather, the carnival was a grant success, and some very nifty prizes were carried off by the skaters. (Lakeside)
There will be a concert held in Aberdeen Hall on Feb. 12, under the auspices of the Women’s Institute. The program will consist of dialogues and music. It promises to be one of the best ever given at Kirkton.
Extra waltzing numbers will be given by the Kiltie Band at the upcoming Carnival. Don’t miss it. (News of the Town)
Canada’s total trade last year exceeded $1 billion, the largest increases being in agricultural produce and manufacturing ware. (News of the Town)