25 years ago — 1988
LACAC is proposing to bring groups together to sponsor restoration activities for preserving the historic Junction Station building. In 1858, with the coming of the railroad to St. Marys, it provided a venue for all classes of trade. Grain markets flourished. Grain came in from all directions boosting the beginning of a western link to the railway. For years, the Junction Station has been sadly neglected. It was recommended in 1973 to be a site of historical and architectural significance but even that did not secure the building. The Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee (LACAC) continued to fight for its cause, to save the building, along with the efforts of MP Bill Jarvis, until the CNR in October, 1980, offered to lease the site to the town for $1. (By Colleen Malcolm)
50 years ago — 1963
We See: THAT reinforcing steel for the main floor of the new British Mortgage office in the old White and May stand is being put in place this week.
We See: THAT more new homes acre being built in Kirkton. A foundation for Mr. and Mrs. Alex Irvine’s residence has been put in, and excavation has started for the new Horace Greenstreet house.
It has been rumoured that paving will be started on No. 19 Highway this week and we surmise the residents will be very happy, after having endured many weeks of noise, dust, etc. this season. (Uniondale)
75 years ago — 1938
The death of Mrs. Wm. Montezambert of Toronto, once a resident of St. Marys, was recorded in a recent Journal Argus. Mrs. Wm. Dale later owned this large West Ward home. Mention is made to the winters of the early ’90s (1890s), when in St. Marys a Whist Club bloomed, meeting weekly at the houses of the various members. Players scurried through their program to play and refreshments in order to reach their respected homes before 12 o’clock midnight, when the local plant turned off the electric current and those not abed had, perforce, to resort to candles and oil lamps.
Mr. De Loss Scott, of St. Marys Gospel Mission, had charge of the service at Brown’s Church on a recent Sunday a.m., Mr. Livingstone having left for his vacation. (Brown’s Corners)
Work has commenced by employees of the St. Marys Board of Works, reinforced by a portable air compressor and several experienced rock drillers on loan from the St. Marys Cement Plant, on the erection of a new steel footbridge on the south side of the Victoria Bridge. The steel was purchased from the Hamilton Bridge Company. The cost of the new bridge will be in the neighbourhood of $800. It will be five feet wide and the floor will be on a level with the main roadway. The great advantage of the new footbridge will be that it will provide citizens living on the south side of Queen Street with a safe passage to the new Post Office without having to cross the heavily travelled Queen Street.
100 years ago — 1913
A peach social will be held at Avonbank Church, under the auspices of Avonbank Division No. 320, S.O.T., on Labour Day.
Mrs. James B. Box and son, Robert, are at present visiting at Anderson and the home of Mrs. Atkinson. (Belton)
Baseball is the leading sport in the locality, and several took in the game at Oliver recently between the ladies of Pasadena and Oliver. Ask some of those who were there for the score, not because the writer does not know, but because he is too modest to give the loser away. (Belton)
Many of our readers may attend Business College this fall. Do not forget that some schools are better than others. We direct the attention of our readers to Stratford Business College, which has no superior in the province. Those interested should write the college for a free catalogue.
Oddfellows from the district be “badges and happy.” That was the headline when St. Marys was alive with excitement when a monster demonstration was tendered by the local lodge to fellow townsman, Dr. P.T. Copeland, the new Grand Master of Ontario.
The Collegiate Institute Assembly Hall and Gymnasium bylaw was defeated on Friday by a vote of 155 to 123.
125 years ago — 1888
The school house at Medina is undergoing repairs long overdue. This is something that was very much needed. (East Nissouri)
The congregation of Brown’s Church has decided to repair their place of worship to the extent of $300 or more. This is a step in the right direction, as it was badly needed. (East Nissouri)