25 years ago — 1988
Town Council has thrown its support behind Project Re-Rail, a public interest group based in Owen Sound, which has been advocating the use of abandoned rail lines in midwestern Ontario for what it feels can be a useful and self-sufficient railway network serving the area’s freight needs.
Members of Hillcrest Rebekkah Lodge celebrated their 34th anniversary recently. Nominations of officers for 1988 were held and all offices were filled by acclamation.
The Thorndale Lions Club Medical Centre recently welcomed Dr. Henry Chapeskie as resident doctor. The medical centre is the result of a project started when Wilfrid Logan, a charter member of the Thorndale Lions Club, donated the property for the centre. The $150,000 project was brought about not only because there was a need in the community, but because Thorndale needed the traffic that the centre would bring. Dr. Paul Vezina was recently hired as the dentist at the centre. Dr. Paul also has a practice on Fanshawe Road in London.
50 years ago — 1963
A large asphalt plant transplanted from Cold Lake, Alberta, has recently gone into production on No. 7 Highway, a short distance north of the Four Mile Bush. The plant is operated by T.G. Hammond Ltd. In full production, the plant is capable of producing 86 tons of asphalt per hour.
75 years ago — 1938
The past months have seen many changes in the skyscape of the Stonetown. Many buildings have disappeared from sight owing to the fact that they have fallen into disrepair, or were found to be a menace and an expense. One such building is the former frame structure just east of the Town Hall, Queen Street, occupied for the past 40 years by the firm of S.J.Dunseith and Son. This building is at least 85 years old. Since the big windstorm of 1933, it has been without the comforting assurance of a roof. Mr. H.E. Dunseith is having the building torn down and is moving his place of business across the street. The building was erected by the Oddfellows as a Lodge room and was operated as such for many years by the Victoria and St. Marys Lodges. In 1874, when St. Marys Lodge built the Opera House on Water Street, both Lodges amalgamated and moved to new quarters. Even while the upper floor was being used as an Oddfellows’ Lodgeroom, the downstairs hall was used as a school classroom. Private schools were in vogue at that time and both Mr. F.E. Butcher and Mr. R.S. Box recall that they spent their first few years at school in that building.
100 years ago — 1913
Tenders for the Store, Dwelling, and Stable owned by the late James Chalmers at that northwest corner at Queen and Water Streets, St. Marys, in bulk or separately, will be received up until May 31.
Notice: NO FIREWORKS. Any person letting off fireworks of any description within the fire limits will be prosecuted. (F. Young, Chief of Police)
The Carter Company has men at work this week draining the Flats. Mr. Box informed the Argus that the grounds will be in as good condition as ever when work is completed.
The St. Marys Cement Company Band has ordered their kilty dress uniforms, to cost around $1,000, and as the band is augmented this amount will be increased accordingly. The band is at present practicing but will not come out for public play until the dress uniforms arrive.
125 years ago — 1888
The floury, balmy, blooming month of June is again upon us. It is really enjoyable to drive through the country now. We full are repaid for enduring the long winter when we are permitted to see the rapid growth, the beauty and glory of the month of June, in this “Canada of Ours.”
Mr. Thos. Sommerville and Son are sparing neither time nor money on their new residence and garden, and seem determined to place them among the most attractive in our village. Nor does our friend Mr. Urqhuart intend to take a back seat in this respect, for his new house and grounds are a very model of neatness and good taste. (Kirkton)
We are sorry that Mr. O’Brien has closed up his bakery, for it was a great convenience to the village and vicinity. (Kirkton)
The annual meeting of the Midland Counties Baptist Association will be held in the Baptist Church of this town, next week, 12, 13 and 14. All the meetings are open to the public.