Townhouse fire accidental
|
Bookmark and Share
Apr 26, 2013  |  Vote 0    0

Townhouse fire accidental

Stratford Gazette

Jeff Heuchert Gazette staff

The Stratford Fire Department is reminding parents to keep matches and lighters out of sight and reach of young children after a fire Thursday that temporarily displaced a family of three.

The fire, in an upper-floor bedroom closest of a townhouse on Athlone Crescent, caused approximately $70,000 in damage – $30,000 to contents and $40,00 to the building.

A mother and her two young children, as well as the family dog and hamster, were all unharmed.

A 911 call from the mother was received at about 4:50 p.m. The family was waiting outside when firefighters arrived.

Deputy fire chief Michael Gornyiczki said the cause of the fire was accidental, and credited the quick thinking homeowner, who had working smoke alarms installed, for helping isolate the flames before firefighters arrived.

“When she noticed the fire she closed that bedroom door. That helped contain the fire into that room as opposed to travelling out down the hallway and through the rest of the unit.”

There was no smoke or water damage to the adjoining units, Gornyiczki added.

Victim Services was called to assist the family make temporary arrangements.

|
Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

Latest Local News

News

Elma class teaches inclusion with new Buddy Benches

NEWRY - A class of Grade 6 and 7 students have left their mark at Elma Public School, and has...

Snapshot

News

Monkton family overwhelmed by support at CF fundraiser

MONKTON – When Sharon Hudson began planning a fundraiser for her son Cory and others suffering from...

Snapshot

News

Local women needed for new North Perth fundraising team

NORTH PERTH – A local committee is looking for a few good women, who in turn want to do a whole lot...

Snapshot

News

Habitat for Humanity project moves ahead with groundbreaking

LISTOWEL – After many months of planning, fundraising and meetings, the new Habitat for Humanity...

Snapshot

In Your Neighbourhood Today

SPONSORED CONTENT View More