50 years ago — 1965
The official opening of St. Marys District Museum is held on June 2 at Cadzow Park, with tea being served from 3-6 p.m.
Cascade Cleaners on Water Street have installed a number of new machines to give better and faster service. The owners are Vivian and Stan Culbert, with eight full-time employees. (Lakeside news)
The Little Falls IODE held its regular monthly meeting. A motion was made to assist in the forming of a new Junior Chapter in the High School. Two members, Mrs. Ronald Hunter and Mrs. Paul Hansen, will act as counsellors.
Misses Mary Ellen Dufton and Janis Bight attended the WOSSA track meet in London. They were winners in relays. (St. Ives news)
75 years ago — 1940
It was a great occasion here in St. Marys when the change-over was made at the Bell Telephone office from the magneto to the common battery system of operation. Mayor David C. White made the first long-distance call to F.G. Sanderson, MP, in Ottawa.
Among the nurses graduating from Stratford General Hospital will be Miss Eva Lancaster and Miss Jean Bell.
At a re-organization meeting of the Thorndale Bowling Club for 1940, the following officers were elected: President — Mr. Albert Lee; secretary-treasurer — Mr. Frank Lee; General Committee of Management — Thomas McFarlane, George Hall, William Stone, Fred Leslie, Stanley Clarke and W.M.E. Scott.
100 years ago — 1915
On May 30, the Grand Trunk will be adding two more trains going through St. Marys. This will make four trains.
William Andrews has placed an accurate chronometer in his jewellery store window, which gives the exact standard time.
The Motherwell Bowling Club re-organized recently. Mr. W.M. Spice was re-appointed president, Mr. J. Rogers vice-president, and John Sterritt secretary.