Permanent reminder of a recently-demolished church
|
Bookmark and Share
Sep 12, 2014  |  Vote 0    0

Permanent reminder of a recently-demolished church

St. Marys Journal Argus

Stew Slater

St. Marys Journal Argus

At an afternoon gathering Sunday, Sept. 7 at the Union Line Cemetery north of Kirkton, Mike Brine offered an Internet use tip to his former fellow parishioners at Woodham United Church: “Go to Google Earth, and find Woodham, and you’ll see the church.”

Given that the property — originally home to a white brick “New Connexion” church constructed in 1870; rebuilt in red brick in 1905 by the Methodists — has sat vacant since the building was dismantled earlier this year, Google Earth (currently using images of the village taken prior to the demolition) was one of the few ways, along with old family photos and newspaper clippings, that people can see what used to be.

Now, thanks to a new cairn unveiled last Sunday at the Union Line gathering, other images of the former Woodham UC — including an artfully reproduced photo embossed onto a granite plaque; but also including cornerstones highlighting some of the influential groups within the church over the decades — will be on permanent display.

“The church may not still be there, but that community lives on inside all of us, and also in this cairn that has been erected,” declared Rev. Paul Vollick of the joint Granton-Wesley and Kirkton United Church pastoral charge — a man of the cloth very familiar to Woodham UC’s former congregants, given that many of them have joined those other churches since the demise of their own.

“Whenever we pass by (the cairn), remember the wonderful faith community it represents,” Vollick said to attendees at Sunday’s dedication service. “Today, we dedicate this cairn to all the generations of who worshipped (at Woodham UC).”

A commemorative booklet produced by the congregation in conjunction with the church’s closure explained that, “since 2000, congregation numbers have diminished and, in 2008, services alternated on a monthly basis with Kirkton United Church.” Further consolidation of worship opportunities followed, and “after 142-plus years of faithful service, the Woodham United Church closed, and the congregation decided at a congregational meeting on March 10, 2013 to disband.”

Tim Shute, who was chair of the trustees at the time of that decision, also spoke at Sunday’s dedication. “It’s something we can all be very proud of,” he said of the cairn, before thanking the Cairn Committee as well as Kirkton-area mason Matt Froud for doing the work on the construction.

|
Bookmark and Share

(0) Comment

Join The Conversation Sign Up Login

Latest Local News

News

Elma class teaches inclusion with new Buddy Benches

NEWRY - A class of Grade 6 and 7 students have left their mark at Elma Public School, and has...

Snapshot

News

Monkton family overwhelmed by support at CF fundraiser

MONKTON – When Sharon Hudson began planning a fundraiser for her son Cory and others suffering from...

Snapshot

News

Local women needed for new North Perth fundraising team

NORTH PERTH – A local committee is looking for a few good women, who in turn want to do a whole lot...

Snapshot

News

Habitat for Humanity project moves ahead with groundbreaking

LISTOWEL – After many months of planning, fundraising and meetings, the new Habitat for Humanity...

Snapshot

In Your Neighbourhood Today

SPONSORED CONTENT View More