It's been a big year for one of Stratford's most recognizable downtown department stores, and on Saturday Hudson's officially celebrated its 100th anniversary.
Customers were treated to a draw for a new coat, product seminar, free barbecue, live music and a cake cutting.
The business was started in 1911 by Harry Shapiro, who in the beginning sold pelts and dry goods off of a horse-drawn cart. He opened in a location on Ontario Street the following year under the name Stratford House Furnishing Company.
Over the next 100 years, the business would change names, locations and product lines. But it never lost its link to the past. Today, the store is owned and operated by Shapiro's daughter, Sylvia Helperin, whose involvement with the company dates back to the 1950s, her son Lee and daughter Judy.